Youth Programs Associate
Type of Job
$40,000 - $45,000
Jan 28, 2022
About the job
Groundwork Hudson Valley is a 5
01c3 non-profit organization committed to “changing places and changing lives” in the lower Hudson Valley. Our mission is to create sustainable environmental change in urban neighborhoods through community-based partnerships that promote equity, youth leadership, and economic opportunity. Program areas include climate resilience, sustainability education, and youth leadership development. Groundwork partners with neighborhood residents, private and non-profit partners, local businesses and government officials to identify environmental improvements that will advance equitable, healthy, vibrant communities and empower the next generation of community leaders. Groundwork Hudson Valley’s nationally acclaimed youth program, the Green Team, encourages outdoor activity, environmental stewardship, youth leadership, and neighborhood restoration.
The Youth Programs Associate is a full time position responsible for working with the Youth Programs Manager to coordinate all aspects of Groundwork’s youth programs. The Youth Programs Associate will be responsible for arranging program logistics, including but not limited to travel arrangements, securing supplies, executing on program deliverables, community engagement and outreach, student recruitment, orientation, and tracking of relevant program statistics and metrics. The Youth Programs Associate will report directly to the Youth Programs Manager and help structure, evaluate, consolidate and strengthen current programs and help develop new programs to serve a greater number of youth over time. Projects are accomplished through collective action and goal setting as well as independent project management. The right candidate will also be forward thinking, resourceful and able to anticipate in-field needs before they should arise.
· Serving as the day to day liaison for the Green Team through their work projects and through recreational opportunities like hiking, camping, and swimming;
· Overseeing program logistics such as travel & finances;
· Coordinating program logistics and details including: logging youth project hours against grant allocations and managing timesheets, purchasing supplies and materials, developing work schedules, and supervising youth participants;
· Administering, tracking, and collecting measures and metrics related to program outcomes and grant deliverables;
· Assisting with representing Groundwork Hudson Valley at key community events, leading activities to engage public audiences and empowering youth to take a leadership role in the organization of these activities;
· Coordinating with our Development and Communications team on social media outreach, marketing campaigns, and fundraising;
· Maintaining a safe work environment and tracking/reporting injuries, accidents, and near misses;
· Ensuring safety measures and compliance with child labor laws;
· Enforcing Covid-19 safety procedures;
· Working Saturdays in the spring and fall, occasional evenings, and overnights on camping trips;
· Traveling with Green Team members to and from local work site locations as well as remote work site locations, as needed;
· Overseeing the hiring paperwork processes;
- Ordering supplies and equipment for program activities;
-Maintaining team field equipment;
· Other responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years’ experience working with high school youth from diverse backgrounds;
· Must be a self-starter, work well independently as well as accept supervision;
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people from different backgrounds and cultures;
- Demonstrated interest in conservation, community and environmental stewardship;
· Knowledge of best practices (Leave No Trace) in camping, hiking, and other outdoor recreational and work activities;
· Willingness to learn new skills, and to maintain an open mind to new experiences;
· Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions;
- Ability to work in teams, organize time and meet deadlines;
- Willingness to travel, especially during spring/summer;
- Ability to communicate in Spanish a plus;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record, with experience driving 12 to 15 passenger vans a plus;
- First Aid/CPR certification a plus;
- Knowledge of Yonkers communities a plus;
- Has a passion for the guiding values and mission of Groundwork, including a commitment to environmental equity and justice.
The salary range for this position is $40,000 - $45,000. Groundwork offers a generous benefits package for employees, including participation in our health insurance plan, 11 paid holidays per year, 15 paid vacation days per year, 7 paid sick days per year, and additional paid comp-time at the discretion of the Executive Director. We also offer a Simple IRA and access to TransitChek pretax transportation benefits.
How to Apply
Send a thoughtful cover letter and resume that speaks to how your experience and skill-set meet the qualifications for this position to email@example.com, with subject header Youth Programs Associate.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate in any employer/employee relations based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable discrimination laws. City of Yonkers residents are strongly encouraged to apply.