Youth Crew Leader 1
Type of Job
Feb 17, 2023
About the job
Groundwork Hudson Valley is a 501c3 non-profit organization committed to “changing places and changing lives” in the lower Hudson Valley. Our mission is to create sustainable environmental change in urban neighborhoods through community-based partnerships that promote equity, youth leadership, and economic opportunity. Program areas include revitalizing public places, sustainability education, and youth leadership development. Groundwork partners with neighborhood residents, private and non-profit partners, local businesses and government officials to identify environmental improvements that will advance equitable, healthy, vibrant communities and empower the next generation of community leaders.
Youth Crew Leader Description
Groundwork is seeking two (2) Youth Crew Leaders to assist in all aspects of our Green Team summer youth program. Green Team is a youth employment program focused on developing leadership skills, fostering group dynamics, and nurturing a variety of conservation skill sets to cultivate the community leaders of tomorrow. Youth Crew Leader 1 and Youth Crew Leader 2 will work together to fulfill the responsibilities of their roles.
Youth Crew Leader 1 will report directly to the Youth Programs Manager. This is an entry level position, providing an opportunity for engaging urban youth in their first experience in a leadership position with environmental conservation and outdoor recreational opportunities.
The ideal candidate must be a team player but also be comfortable working independently as well as accepting supervision. The candidate will be forward thinking, resourceful and able to anticipate in-field needs before they arise; share the values and vision of the organization; and demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people from different backgrounds. Green Team Alumni are strongly encouraged to apply.
● Assisting with running projects for a 10 person team of Green Team youth;
● Assisting with worksite/campsite management, including task accountability, activity leadership, and tool and safety protocol;
● Assisting with program logistics, including transportation, storage and organization of tools and supplies;
● Assisting with program preparation, including orientation, work day, and trip planning;
● Tracking relevant program statistics and metrics, including youth evaluations and project documentation;
● Working occasional nights and weekends including overnight trips;
● Maintaining vehicles for program requirements;
● Enforcing organization’s COVID-19 safety procedures;
● Other responsibilities as required.
● Demonstrated experience working with high school youth from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
● GED required, some college preferred;
● Experience with camping, hiking, and other outdoor recreational activities;
● Demonstrated interest in conservation, community and environmental stewardship;
● Willingness to learn new skills, and maintain an open mind to new experiences;
● Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions;
● Ability to work in teams, organize time and meet deadlines;
● Basic computer skills: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
● A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record; ability to drive large vehicles (15 passenger van) a plus;
● First Aid/CPR certification a plus;
● Ability to communicate in Spanish, a plus.
Compensation: $20 per hour
Application Deadline: April 3, 2023
Work Dates: The Youth Crew Leader 1 term is June 12, 2023 to August 18, 2023.
To apply: Please submit a letter of interest and resume by email to email@example.com, with the subject header Youth Crew Leader 1.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate in any employer/employee relations based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable discrimination laws.