YES Explorers Coordinator
Type of Job
$52,000 - $56,000
Jan 23, 2023
About the job
The YES Explorers Coordinator is a full-time position that engages the Explorers youth cohort, ages 8-10, in school, out-of-school, and weekend programming. The Explorers Coordinator works closely and collaboratively with the YES team, members of the Richmond Outdoors Coalition, and elementary schools and outdoor partners. They facilitate out-of-school programming that nurtures the leadership of young people, and prepares them for day-long and overnight outdoor activities. They also facilitate in-school programming at two elementary schools on a one-time-per-week basis.
They support program development, data management, reporting, evaluation, and work both on and off-site. They report to the Youth Leadership Pathway (YLP) Program Manager. The program follows up-to-date county-approved COVID-19 safety protocols.
Program Coordination (70%)
- With the support of the YLP Program Manager and the Director of Programs & Partnerships, the Explorers Coordinator develops and implements out-of-school, and weekend programming that engages approximately 30 youth, ages 8-10, in bi-monthly after-school workshops and occasional day-long, weekend, and overnight outdoor outings.
- In partnership with the Richmond Outdoors Coalition, plans and facilitates in-school, hour-long programming on a one-time-per-week basis at Nystrom and Verde Elementary schools.
- Uses nature-based, healing-centered, and Youth Development best practices that weave trauma knowledge and sensitivity to teach environmental education, social-emotional learning, and to prepare young people for outdoor experiences.
- Creates a learning environment that helps youth build strong relationships between their peers and mentoring relationships between the YES team and partners.
- Collaborates in the planning and facilitation of the Explorers cohort programming alongside the YES team for weekend day outings, and overnight camping trips to ensure youth are exposed to positive, educational, and culturally relevant outdoor experiences.
- Collaborates in the curriculum design and data collection of YES programming at Nystrom and Verde Elementary schools alongside Richmond Outdoors Coalition staff and partners.
- Conducts targeted outreach, recruitment, and follow-up for the Explorers cohort and other YES programs at Nystrom and Verde Elementary schools, and conducts general outreach at other district schools, community hubs, and with other partner organizations.
- Works collaboratively with youth and their families to overcome challenges that youth may encounter in or outside of YES programs and connects them to YES’s Wellness Specialist to help them navigate those challenges.
- Supports and coordinates trip logistics and meal planning, organizing gear, prepping media equipment, etc., for outdoor activities.
- Provides supervision, group management, and conflict resolution during outdoor activities by modeling teamwork, cooperative effort, and creative, peaceful resolution of conflict.
- Develops and provides program materials including assessments, surveys, brochures, flyers, and forms to youth and their families as needed.
- Supports the YES team with the planning and implementation of other program activities, community events, and meetings as needed.
- Participates in professional development training as needed.
Administrative Tasks (15%)
- Alongside the YLP Program Manager, creates the annual Explorers program budget and adheres to expenditures.
- Plans, inputs, and coordinates Explorers program data and reports.
- Conducts regular evaluation of the process and outcomes of the Explorers program to ensure cultural responsiveness and success.
- Develops and maintains efficient systems for organizing and administering the work.
- Ensures that the Explorers program materials, including assessments, surveys, brochures, flyers, and forms, are maintained, translated, and kept up to date.
- Supports the YLP team and manager and the rest of the YES team as needed.
Organizational Leadership (8%)
- Understands and is committed to the organization’s vision, mission, and values and communicates YES’s strategic direction to staff, constituents, and partners.
- Aligns work to the organization’s strategic plan mission, vision, and goals.
- Identifies new program opportunities and collaborations that align with YES’s values and enhance impact.
- Maintains a working knowledge of significant developments in the field and program areas.
- Participates in committees, and represents the organization in collaboratives, conferences, fundraisers, and other platforms to promote their leadership development.
Staff Supervision (5%)
- Indirectly supervises Trip Leaders, volunteers, seasonal interns, program facilitators, and other staff supports.
- Maintains a strengths-based approach to supervision that draws out the talents of the team.
Fundraising related responsibilities (2%)
- Supports with one fundraising event annually with event preparation, set-up, clean-up, and/or staffing during the event. May also include supporting youth and/or alumni to speak during events, in video interviews, or in sharing their stories for written content.
- Contributes content, such as stories, program summaries, and anecdotes, to communications and fundraising efforts including the annual report, eNewsletters, direct mail, etc.
The position requires frequent use of computer and handwritten work; requires prolonged sitting or standing through the course of the workday; requires the ability to bend. The position also requires the ability to carry up to 30 lbs on backpacking trips and to hike or be on your feet for most of the day and may require you to sleep outside in inclement weather conditions. Applicants must be physically fit to hike and lead outdoor activities while maintaining the stamina to support others.
- Passionate about engaging youth to deepen their connection with nature, and work with them as partners and foster a team approach.
- Experience leading activities that deepen connections with nature and engage youth from diverse socio-economic backgrounds and cultural backgrounds.
- Experience leading social-emotional learning curriculum.
- Group management skills and/or have prior experience working with youth in recreational, outdoor environments, academic, and/or social service settings.
- Experience camping or backpacking, and be comfortable outdoors in all types of weather.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint), Internet (Google Calendar, Google Drive), and data entry platforms (Salesforce or equivalent).
- Organized with rigorous attention to detail and organizational protocols.
- Comfort and ability to communicate with parents/caregivers and other supports in young people’s lives.
- Ability to represent YES well when working with community partners and participants.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Exercise professional behavior and sound judgment at all times and maintain appropriate boundaries with participants.
- Ability and willingness to drive youth at times to local or outdoor destinations with either a rented, or agency vehicle.
- Be 21 years of age or older, must have their own transportation.
OTHER DESIRED SKILLS
- Bilingual in English & Spanish
- Familiarity with the Richmond community and/or other Communities of Color.
- Experience in the field of Youth Development.
YES offers a generous benefits package to all regular full-time employees that include:
- 100% medical, dental, vision coverage
- 403b retirement matching program
- 10 days vacation in the first year with incremental accruals thereafter, 7 days sick time, 12 holidays, 1 day paid time off for birthdays.
- Paid holiday closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Increased starting salary for employees who are fluent in the language spoken by the majority of program participants and/or their families.
- Fully paid 6-week sabbatical program after 6 years of consecutive employment
- Professional development opportunities.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Maria Chan, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “YES Explorers Coordinator.” The position is open until filled.
YES is an equal opportunity employer and requires all employees to have received an FDA- approved vaccine against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. You will be part of a team that values a diversity of cultures, perspectives, and lived experiences. We carefully consider every applicant who takes the time to apply. YES strives to reflect the community it is proud to engage with and strongly encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to consider working at YES. We seek talented and qualified individuals regardless of age, ancestry, color, creed, ethnicity, gender identity, marital status, military obligations, national origins, physical abilities, race, religion, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
No phone calls, please.