Wisconsin Outreach Coordinator
Milwaukee Based Remote Work
Type of Job
Aug 7, 2023
About the job
Location: based in Milwaukee, WI with remote work
Annual Salary: $50,000 and full benefits package
Reports to: Green Team Director
Faith in Place is looking for a passionate and capable Wisconsin Outreach Coordinator to lead people of diverse faiths in the Milwaukee region and beyond to advance climate and racial justice and advocate for safer, healthier communities.
The Outreach Coordinator will be part of an amazing team at Faith in Place, a multifaith environmental organization operating in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. We partner with diverse communities of faith as well as persons who don’t identify with a specific tradition.
The Outreach Coordinator will help form and provide coaching, programming, and connections for “Green Teams” – groups of three or more members of a house of worship or spiritual community who want to work for a more just, healthy, and sustainable world. Our team works remotely, so you can work from home on days you are not doing in-person outreach efforts.
The Wisconsin Outreach Coordinator will also work with the Faith in Place Action Fund, a separate nonprofit (501c4) organization. The Coordinator will work with Green Teams to advance the mission of the Action Fund: to promote political action for environmental justice. The Faith in Place Action Fund raises memberships and motivates lobbying for environmental justice. The Faith in Place Action Fund uses a number of tools to hold candidates and elected officials accountable to creating more environmental justice jobs. These tools include grassroots lobbying, scorecards, questionnaires, interviews, and candidate endorsements.
- Coordinate engagement with faith communities: Inspire the implementation of all of Faith in Place’s programs in Wisconsin, working alongside clergy, Green Team leaders, and faith communities
- Connect clergy, Green Team leaders, and faith communities to each other in their shared Earth care
- Help interested faith communities form a Green Team with specific attention to creating new Green Teams in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and surrounding communities
- Serve as a Green Team Coach to a portfolio of diverse faith communities throughout Wisconsin
- Meet monthly and quarterly outreach and event goals in each program area per grant deliverables
- Work with the Development Team to guide development strategy to fund Wisconsin work, meeting fundraising goals from foundations, individuals, and houses of worship
- Participate in monthly Board Subcommittees as assigned
- Work with the Communications Team to send a monthly newsletter and other relevant information to Wisconsin contacts
- Work with Advocacy Team to advance the Policy Platforms of Faith in Place and the Faith in Place Action Fund in Wisconsin
- Work with the Programs team to advance program goals with Green Teams and meet grant deliverables through hosting webinars and in-person events
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and quarterly staff retreats
- Other activities as required
- Passion for environmental issues and economic/social justice
- Exceptional verbal communication skills – comfort in speaking to large groups, facilitating small group discussions, and excelling at one-on-one interactions
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, religious, and political beliefs
- Strong organizational ability and experience in meeting established goals within tight time frames
- Familiarity with standard business computer applications
- Ability and willingness to motivate individuals to take action regarding Earth care– prior experience in sales, organizing, or faith community life is a plus
- Resident of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, or nearby community
- Access to reliable transportation and a cell phone
- Faith in Place requires staff to be up to date with vaccinations for Covid-19 and willing to follow our Covid-19 policies
- Bachelor’s degree or 3 years equivalent professional experience
- At least 2 years of experience in community organizing
- Strong written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in effectively leading and collaborating with volunteers– management or supervisory experience
- Experience working for a 501c3 nonprofit with a partner 501c4 organization
This is a full-time Exempt position. While most work is done during a standard workday, outreach opportunities occur on the evenings and weekends. For any time worked outside regular work hours, comp time will be provided.
About the Organization’s Mission
Faith in Place is a multifaith, environmental nonprofit (501c3) organization with outreach staff working throughout Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin. Faith in Place’s mission is to empower people of diverse faith and spiritualities to be leaders in advancing environmental and racial justice, providing resources to educate, connect, and advocate for healthier communities. Faith in Place partners with communities of faith from diverse religious traditions as well as people who identify as spiritual or motivated by justice but don't identify with a specific faith tradition.
Faith in Place organizes faith leaders, groups, and members to advance our mission by starting and coaching Green Teams. Green Teams are three or more members of a house of worship who provide cooperative leadership to educate, connect, and advocate for environmental and racial justice within the context of their community’s unique culture, history, and theological practices.
All Faith in Place staff also contribute part of their working hours to the Faith in Place Action Fund, a separate 501c4 nonprofit organization. The Faith in Place Action Fund motivates lobbying for environmental justice. The Faith in Place Action Fund uses several tools to hold candidates and elected officials accountable to create more environmental justice jobs throughout the Midwest. These tools include grassroots lobbying, legislator scorecards, questionnaires, interviews, and candidate endorsements.
About the Organization’s Staff Culture
The Faith in Place team works together to create a culture that is focused on growth, collaboration, healing, and justice. We value a diversity of voices and perspectives and the staff team participates in Diversity and Equity training, Healing Circles, Case Studies, and more to learn from one another and professional teachers about the roots of injustice and how we can work together to create collaborative and healthier work culture.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered to full-time employees of Faith in Place. These benefits, with some employee contributions, include medical, dental, vision, life, and short-term and long-term disability insurance, and employer-matched SIMPLE IRA plan, which begins the first of the month following employment, and a stipend to support professional development. Up to twenty (20) paid vacation days, two (2) paid personal days, and five (5) paid sick days will begin after six (6) months of employment. Monthly cell phone and internet stipends are provided along with a $500 one-time payment to help with home office needs.
Faith in Place is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, caste, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values at Faith in Place and in the Outreach Department. Because we believe that the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities must be centered in the work of our intersectional environmentalism, we strongly encourage applications from these identities. We acknowledge that we must do better to represent the diverse communities that we exist to uplift and protect.
Application Process and Timeline:
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled
- 30-minute phone interview
- 1-hour Zoom interview (questions will be sent in advance)
- Finalists will be asked to provide 2-3 professional references and may be invited for a final 45-minute interview where they will do a sample presentation pitching Faith in Place programs to a potential Green Team
To apply, please submit your resume and respond to the application questions here.