Western States Policy Manager
Type of Job
Nov 7, 2022
About the job
Western States Policy Manager
Union of Concerned Scientists
Climate and Energy
Remote/Hybrid – in close proximity to Sacramento, CA
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists, and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
The western states' regional office is working to reduce carbon emissions and build a healthy low-carbon future in California and the Pacific Northwest, pioneering effective public policy and setting an example that other states and nations can learn from.
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is seeking a policy manager to lead the organization’s policy advocacy in California and the Pacific Northwest. This person will help shape UCS’s policy agenda, manage 1-2 policy advocates, and foster relationships with government officials, non-profit allies, and other important stakeholders. The right candidate will have a working knowledge of climate, energy, and transportation policy, experience working in California and potentially other states, a thorough understanding of campaign strategy, and superb communication skills.
· Plan and coordinate advocacy to support UCS’s western states' legislative and regulatory work on climate, clean energy, and clean transportation.
· Directly advocate with state legislatures, gubernatorial administrations, and relevant agencies in support of UCS’s policy agenda in California, Oregon, and Washington.
· Coordinate and contribute to the development of UCS’s policy positions in western states.
· Collaborate with and provide strategic guidance to UCS colleagues who conduct outreach, analysis, and communications to ensure UCS tactics are designed to have the greatest impact on UCS’s policy agenda.
· Establish and maintain relationships with government officials, advocates from allied organizations, and other stakeholders.
· Consistently maintain a policy-focused social media presence, using our @WestUCS handle
· Supervise 1-2 policy advocates and, possibly, a contract lobbyist.
· Support internal efforts to create an anti-racist and inclusive work environment.
· Maintain working knowledge of general state legislation, budget, and regulatory processes as well as technologies and scientific developments related to climate, energy, and transportation.
Qualifications and Experience
· Experience working in policy-making processes in California, especially in the California Legislature.
· Thorough understanding of issue advocacy campaigns and legislative strategy.
· Skills in public speaking and written communication.
· Significant self-motivation, strong personal time management, and interpersonal skills.
· The ability to work both independently and in teams in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects and deadlines.
· A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. At least 2-5 years of comparable and relevant experience including campaign planning, the legislative process, advocacy skills, project management, and an understanding of political organizing and planning/strategy development at the state level.
· Experience with incorporating equity, inclusion, and justice into prior work.
· May spend extended periods at a computer.
· Regular travel to Sacramento is expected; occasional travel to the Pacific Northwest (approx. two times per year) is preferred.
Preferred knowledge, skills, and experience:
· Training or experience in supervision and project management.
· Familiarity with policy-making processes in Oregon and Washington.
This is a full-time remote position based in close proximity to UCS’s Oakland or Sacramento, CA offices. For those who meet all position requirements, the salary range is $101,931-114,670. *FOR CA RESIDENTS ONLY a 12% pay differential is offered*. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment that is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
A note on the pandemic:
During the coronavirus pandemic, our staff is working from home. We will resume working from our offices, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
Covid Mandate for New Hires:
For in-office roles, UCS employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC. All new hires who will be reporting to an office location must provide notice of their vaccination status and vaccination documentation, on or before their first day of work. For all others, UCS strongly encourages full vaccinations among its employees, up to and including booster shots, even if working remotely.
All new employees must comply with the mandatory vaccination requirements outlined in UCS policies as soon as practicable. Union of Concerned Scientists will notify candidates for employment of the requirements of this policy before the start of employment.
Deadline: Until filled.