Western Social Media Campaign Manager
San Francisco, CA or Santa Monica, CA
Type of Job
Oct 26, 2021
About the job
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our staff of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and internationally from our offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Social Media Manager (Western Region) to work with our Social Media team in the Communications department in our San Francisco or Santa Monica office. This position will report to the Senior Director of Content, and works closely with policy advocacy campaign staff, program experts, and other communications colleagues in the western region. NRDC is increasingly focused on tackling the climate crisis by winning key environmental fights in cities, states, and regions around the United States. This position plans and executes the social media components of this work, by creating content and campaign plans that help achieve our local objectives, as well as supporting our overall national goals. The ideal candidate will have strong editorial skills, an expert-level understanding of social media, fluency in Spanish, and experience working on advocacy campaigns at the local, state and national levels.
- Coordinate and execute multi-channel social media strategy for political policy and advocacy campaigns focused on local, state, and regional issues. Key campaign tactics will include localized social media content, boosted posts and social media ads, social media storytelling, live social media coverage of on-the-ground events, and some community management.
- Provide strategic social media guidance and project management support for regional and state-based advocacy campaigns, including project intake, content creation, scheduling, launch/execution, and quality control.
- Create content for NRDC’s social media properties, primarily Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Plan and execute paid social media strategies, including identifying target audiences, drafting social post copy, and working with the multimedia team on creative assets, such as videos and graphics.
- Increase NRDC’s audience size and engagement metrics, especially in key states.
- Represent NRDC at some offline advocacy events.
- Produce live social media coverage (i.e. live tweets, Instagram Stories, Facebook Live) of on-the-ground events, such as government hearings, marches, protests, conferences or other relevant events related to regional campaigns.
- Work with colleagues to develop and execute strategies for promotion and awareness of major reports, congressional or state legislature votes, court decisions, and other public education and engagement opportunities related to regional campaigns.
- Expand NRDC’s thought leadership by helping create content and provide promotion of local NRDC experts.
- Willingness to travel, cover some weekends and holidays as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or greater.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in a social media or engagement role, preferably at a political campaign, nimble nonprofit, or advocacy organization. The ability to work under intense pressure, in high-stakes situations.
- Fluency in Spanish - oral and written - is preferred.
- Strong understanding of the issues within the coastal and interior western United States.
- Familiarity with the political atmosphere and community dynamics within the regional states.
- Passion for environmental justice issues and ability to work thoughtfully and respectfully with local partners.
- Excellent writing skills with a knack for distilling stories into short, compelling copy for a digital audience.
- Strong strategic and tactical editorial skills, honed by previous experience.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to coordinate multiple projects and shifting requests and timelines.
- Familiarity with creating and launching geo-targeted and paid social media campaigns.
- Experience working effectively on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, organize time, and identify resources for projects as needed.
- Experience organizing and managing live online events, such as Instagram Live and Stories, Facebook Live, etc.
- Strong collaborative spirit.
- Commitment to NRDC’s values and mission.
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience. Salary minimum is $64,500; salary midpoint is $72,250. Internal equity considerations and the average salary of the peer range will be reviewed before making a final offer.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, or if you are a person with a disability and you need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.