Western Lands Policy Fellowship
Remotely in Colorado or Montana
Type of Job
Apr 12, 2022
About the job
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is seeking a bright and curious individual to join us as a Western Lands Policy Fellow. This position will primarily support the Western Lands Program’s efforts to improve community wildfire resilience in Colorado and Montana through state-level policy change to increase the use of prescribed fire, encourage land use planning to reduce wildfire risk, and support funding for these and other wildfire resilience policies. This work will include identifying and pursuing opportunities to influence implementation of federal infrastructure spending related to wildfire resilience. The fellowship is an ideal opportunity for an early or mid career professional seeking to enhance their education and training in this policy area, gain insight into research and career opportunities, and collaborate and learn from experts researching, developing, and implementing wildfire resilience policy. The Western Lands Policy Fellow will report to the Western Lands Senior Policy Analyst. This fellowship will last for two years.
This position has the option to work remotely in Colorado or Montana; from WRA’s Boulder, CO, or Denver, CO, offices; or a hybrid of the two. Other remote, office, or hybrid working options within WRA’s region (AZ, CO, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY) may be considered.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
POLICY RESEARCH, ANALYSIS, DEVELOPMENT AND ADVOCACY
- Develop and advocate for policies, model legislation and regulations, and other mechanisms to improve community resilience and reduce the threat of unnatural catastrophic wildfire while achieving co-benefits for wildlife and habitats.
- Analyze and provide advice regarding wildfire and land conservation policies in order to understand their overall feasibility, potential to improve wildfire resilience, and potential to achieve land conservation and wildlife habitat co-benefits.
- Monitor and track relevant policy developments, legislation, ballot initiatives, and other similar efforts across our region related to wildfire and land conservation policies.
- Work directly with conservation community partners, government partners, and other stakeholders to advance state-level wildfire resilience and land conservation policies.
- Represent WRA in coalitions of diverse partners to achieve our policy objectives.
- Collaborate with WRA Program, Communications and Government Affairs staff to produce and disseminate materials that effectively advance our conservation objectives and communicate our mission, goals and the results of our work to external audiences.
- Occasional travel to meetings and events, generally within the Interior West.
POLICY RESEARCH, ANALYSIS AND DEVELOPMENT
- Educational or professional background in public policy, land conservation, natural resource and/or wildlife management, wildfire and forest health, or related disciplines.
- Excellent analytical skills.
ADVOCACY AND COMMUNICATON SKILLS
- Strong written and oral communication abilities.
- Comfort and skill in communicating with a variety of policymakers, constituencies and audiences.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary for this position is $52,000 annually. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes a 401(k) retirement plan with up to 5% matching and health, dental, vision, and life & disability insurance with 100% of premiums paid by WRA. Annually, staff receive three weeks paid vacation leave to start, twelve paid sick days, one paid volunteer day, one paid birthday off, 12 paid holidays, and WRA is closed for Winter Break between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day for additional paid time off. After one-year employees are eligible for up to twelve weeks of parental leave with the first six weeks paid, and after five years, staff are eligible for up to twelve weeks of paid sabbatical leave. Staff in the Denver/Boulder metro area also receive an RTD EcoPass. Position is full-time exempt. This fellowship will last for two years.