Web GIS Specialist/Cartographer
Annapolis, MD (hybrid)
Type of Job
Nov 2, 2022
About the job
The Web GIS Specialist/Cartographer will be responsible for the design, publishing, maintenance, and administration of the Conservation Innovation Center’s web-based mapping products and responding to ongoing cartographic map requests of our geospatial data from internal and external clients. Successful candidate will have the opportunity to utilize graphic design and technical skills to create data visualization and communication tools and products to engage and support conservation, restoration, and environmental policy activities throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed. This position will be a key contributor to a core team (CIC) that manages large and small GIS projects utilizing environmental applications of geospatial technology. The successful candidate will interface extensively with a wide variety of external clients/partners (government, non-profit, private) and Conservancy staff to develop visualization products that interpret and make accessible technical geospatial data in user-friendly formats.
Design and Publishing of Geospatial Data Visualization Products
· Create visually appealing and informative static maps that represent various types of geospatial data using ArcGIS and other graphic design software.
· Create and maintain web-based data visualization products including web pages, static maps, story maps, map viewers and basic applications for interacting with geospatial data.
· Work with external and internal clients to develop geospatial data visualization products that advance client goals.
Management of Web-Based Mapping Products and Applications
· Administer websites and web resources that host and support mapping applications including ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise servers.
· Maintain and update existing inventory of online mapping products.
· Provide technical assistance, troubleshooting, and resolve issues with GIS web publishing systems; recommend technical solutions
· Support CIC project teams with development and deployment of web-based mapping products and services.
· Coordinate with staff and technical support contractors on set-up and maintenance of web hosting environments.
Engage with Internal and External Clients
· Collaborate with partner organizations to gather, apply, and disseminate geospatial data and tools for use in land management and conservation decisions.
· Work as a member of project teams to determine data visualization and geospatial data interaction tools and services that support project goals and meet deliverable requirements.
· Coordinate with project teams and clients to establish and implement efficient data visualization product development schedules overseeing product development, delivery, and maintenance through the full lifecycle.
· Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Environmental Science or GIS related fields from an accredited college or university. Will consider candidates with degree and experience in Graphic Design, Web Development and Computer Science with GIS knowledge.
· At least one year of experience working with GIS and web map publishing.
· Experience with ESRI software, specifically ESRI ArcGIS Pro v2.x
· Experience configuring and managing ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise maps, apps, and data.
· Demonstrated ability in graphic design and data visualization of geospatial data using static maps and web-based applications.
· Demonstrated ability to work with clients to develop scopes of work and product specifications for data visualization and/or mapping products.
· Knowledge of GIS as it relates to land conservation, agricultural BMPs, hydrography, climate vulnerability and land use/land cover analysis
· Experience managing users and settings for ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Portal
· Knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS Web App Builder or Web App Builder Developer edition
· Familiarity and experience with cloud-based map and web app hosting environments such as Azure, AWS and Google Cloud Platform
· Familiarity with Google Analytics and Search Engine Optimization
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits are commensurate with the candidate’s relevant professional experience and/or education, with an expected salary range of $57,000-$67,000. The Conservancy offers a competitive employee benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, participation in a retirement savings plan with an employer match, and an alternate work week. Opportunities for advancement and professional development are available. This position will not support relocation assistance.
This position will be based at Chesapeake Conservancy’s office in Annapolis, Maryland. The office operates with a hybrid remote/in-person environment with the number of days in the office per week negotiable.
ABOUT THE CONSERVANCY
Chesapeake Conservancy is a nonprofit organization based in Annapolis, Maryland, dedicated to ensuring a healthier Chesapeake Bay watershed where fish and wildlife thrive, with healthy waters and abundant forests, wetlands, shorelines, and open spaces. With the human population in the Chesapeake Bay watershed approaching 18 million and growing, and with tens of thousands of acres of open space vanishing each year, the Conservancy works to connect people with the Chesapeake’s wildlife and history; conserve landscapes and rivers; and restore the region’s natural resources. The Conservancy works in close partnership with the Environmental Protection Agency Chesapeake Bay Program, National Park Service Chesapeake Bay Office, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, as well as other federal, state, and local agencies, private foundations, and corporations to advance conservation.
Within the Conservancy, the Conservation Innovation Center (CIC) has become a globally recognized leader in producing data, analyses, and web applications to advance precision conservation and restoration. Through collaborative partnerships, CIC develops innovative custom approaches to leverage high-resolution geospatial data to support informed decision making. CIC works with leading technical organizations like ESRI and Microsoft to deliver more precise data and bring cutting edge technology and techniques to our work. More information is available on our website at https://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/conservation-innovation-center/.
WE ARE COMMITTED TO BEING A DIVERSE & WELCOMING WORKPLACE:
Chesapeake Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, age, sex, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, refusal to submit to a genetic test or to make available genetic test results, or any other legally protected characteristic. Chesapeake Conservancy understands that protecting and restoring the natural and cultural resources of the Chesapeake Bay watershed requires intentional commitment to inclusive practices and narratives within the conservation movement. Through our work we celebrate and elevate the people, places, and cultures of the region, especially by engaging underrepresented communities. Committing to the values of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice is critical to achieve our vision of a Chesapeake that is healthy, accessible to everyone, and a place where people and wildlife thrive. To that end, we commit ourselves to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice both in our programmatic priorities and our internal organizational development through inclusive recruitment of staff and board members and fostering a diverse and inclusive culture.
This position reports to the Director of the Conservation Innovation Center (CIC).
Please submit your resume, cover letter, 3 professional references and examples of recent, original web and/or cartographic work: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=80012&clientkey=14B329E3D0A2E479F3FE06280008FB70
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning November 14, 2022, with an anticipated start date in January 2023.
For more questions regarding this position please contact Helen Sieracki, HR Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.