Water Equity and Ocean Program Advocate
Type of Job
1099 Contractor Monthly contract ($2,200/month, 25 hrs./week, ~$22/hr)
Jan 28, 2022
About the job
Position Title: Water Equity and Ocean Program Advocate
Position type: 1099 Contractor Monthly contract ($2,200/month, 25 hrs./week, ~$22/hr)
The GreenLatinos’ Water Equity and Ocean Program Advocate will support GreenLatinos Water
Equity and Ocean programming with support from GreenLatinos staff including the Water Equity and Ocean Program Director, and other program consultants. The scope of this work falls within our Water Equity and Ocean policy priorities. The GreenLatinos Water Equity and Ocean Program seeks to work with, mobilize, and elevate Latino/a/x communities to advocate for just and inclusive policy-making, actions, and solutions that address the historic barriers communities experience in their efforts to advance water equity, ocean & accessibility priorities.
The Water Equity and Ocean Program Advocate will focus on deepening GreenLatinos’ work and engagement of its network on clean water equity and ocean issues. The Program Advocate will identify opportunities to elevate the voices of Latino community members in programming, policy, media, and will promote policy and legislative solutions that benefit the well-being of Latino communities within the broader environmental movement, among Latino and ally organizations, with federal elected officials, and the Administration. The Clean & Healthy Waters Program Advocate will work in accordance with the GreenLatinos’ Framework for Civil Rights,Environmental Justice, Health Equity & Public Engagement in its operations, partnerships, and engagement strategies.
The Clean & Healthy Waters Program Advocate must be a well-organized individual who iscomfortable working with diverse constituencies (communities of color, local organizations, businesses, government, foundations, and green groups), working in coalition with grassroots and national environmental organizations, and advocating for and implementing fair and equitable partnership practices with these communities. The program advocate must have the ability to support a work plan that includes policy, communications, grassroots engagement and fundraising strategies while developing and maintaining the goals of the program, utilize resources effectively, and establish measurable results. The ideal candidate is self-driven, a team player, and comfortable working within a relaxed working environment. The ideal candidate will be able to communicate (verbally & in writing) their working needs clearly with their supervisors and other staff to ensure success. The ideal candidate understands that it is critical to uphold professional practices as a representative of GreenLatinos and its network during all work related functions including travel, receptions, and events.
The Water Equity and Ocean Program advocate will report directly to the Water Equity and Ocean Program Director.
- Support digital programming including encuentros, policy forums, cultural events, virtual and in-person summits, and regional meet-ups under the Water Equity and Ocean Program.
- Coordinating social media requests, graphics needs, op-eds, funders reports and questions, and email support under Water Equity and Ocean Program.
- Support the development and cultivation of a growing list of GreenLatinos members active and interested in water equity and ocean conservation issues.
- Support engagement in coalitions that GreenLatinos is involved with, acting as a representative of GreenLatinos and bringing forward any intel or work around the coalitions under the Water Equity and Ocean Program.
- Identify actions based on current campaign/coalition activities for GL to take and work to execute including but not limited to Latinx Community Sign-on Letters, Policy Briefings, Member Education Tools (Action Alerts, Program Updates, Factsheets).
- Support scheduling and data entry under the Water Equity and Ocean Program.
- Must hold at minimum a Bachelor's of Arts or Bachelor’s of Sciences or equivalent years of work experience
- Comfort and experience analyzing and synthesizing national and state/local policy. Preference to those who have experience in the area of water and ocean but not required
- Experience working effectively with diverse communities
- Dedication to equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice in the environmental movement
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely via writing and verbally
- Must have an ID sufficient for travel
- A personal computer and mobile phone are critical tools for work
- Spanish speaking and writing capabilities are a plus
- Location Flexible - must maintain reasonable working hours that takes into consideration the various time zones of GreenLatinos staff
How to Apply
Required Application Documents to be emailed to Resumes@GreenLatinos.org with the subject line: Clean & Healthy Waters Program Advocate
- Writing Sample
- Cover Letter
DEADLINE: Applicants must submit all information by February 11th, 2022. We will be reaching out to applicants as they come in on a rolling basis.