VP, Communications, Content and Marketing
Boston, MA or Remote
Type of Job
Jun 7, 2021
About the job
Location: AMC’s Headquarters, Boston, MA, remote option available
Founded in 1876, the AMC (www.outdoors.org) is the oldest conservation, education and recreation organization in the United States. The AMC promotes the protection, enjoyment, and wise use of the mountains, rivers and trails of the Appalachian region. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures.
Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting, and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status.
The VP of Communications, Content and Marketing (VP) reports to John D. Judge, President & CEO of AMC, and will collaborate with a highly experienced Leadership Team to advance all aspects of AMC’s operations and strategies as they relate to external affairs, marketing, sales and occupancy, and content. Additionally, the VP collaborates with internal and external partners to create unified and coordinated communications, branding and membership strategies, ensuring consistency and quality in every initiative and media channel. A knowledgeable, engaged and enthusiastic team supports the VP in these endeavors.
This is an exciting time for AMC as we focus on telling AMC’s story, digital transformation, and advancing DEI at AMC and in the outdoor field. The VP role will create and execute our brand vision in support of our strategic plan, build awareness of our mission by reaching diverse communities, form dynamic partnerships, and foster wider membership and constituent engagement. Responsibilities include:
- Develop, articulate and implement clear and comprehensive strategies for marketing, content, sales and occupancy and communications
- Create a storytelling first approach by implementing strategies to create, surface and leverage high-impact stories that enhance understanding of AMC’s work, properties and services to increase engagement with the outdoors environment
- Manage AMC’s content areas including web, PR, archives, books and maps, sales and customer service
- Advance and strengthen organizational partnerships from brand and mission awareness viewpoints
- Lead digital marketing initiatives and shepherd AMC’s ongoing digital transformation
- Produce and publish high-quality outdoor content including AMC’s online magazine, Appalachia journal, as well as six to nine books and maps per year, inspiring and engaging current and next generation outdoor enthusiasts
- Implement media strategy for both reactive and proactive media moments by leveraging new and existing relationships with members of the traditional and online press
- Develop and promote a knowledge center of user-generated content to help our members, volunteers, and staff engage with the organization on a closer level.
- Shape and deliver important messaging about mission, conservation, recreation, and education
- Oversee brand stewardship
- Create a strong network of connections with partners, volunteers, members, and chapters around the region
- Support and inspire a talented team
- Collaborate with the Development team and other internal partners including Sales, Operations, Web and IT, and Volunteer Relations.
- Provide strategic oversight and serve as the key stakeholder of AMC’s CRM system
- Apply digital marketing and other technologies to underpin success, including through more targeted, interactive and measurable organizational strategies
- Manage a combined budget of $4M+ and a team of 23 professionals
Qualities and Qualifications
While no candidate can equally meet every qualification and personal quality necessary for success, candidates should demonstrate an alignment with AMC’s mission and proven success in growing a mission-driven brand as well as managing a top-performing marketing team. An entrepreneurial self-starter willing to roll up their sleeves to execute projects will succeed. Important qualifications for the position include:
- At least 12-15 years of high-level marketing and communications experience,
- Steering a multi-faceted and purposeful organizational brand
- Including 7-10 years promoting a brand digitally
- Directing external communications, from content development to public relations and social media
- Developing brands that promote membership in a non-profit organization
- Team leader with a strong, collaborative approach to management, enthusiasm for creativity, generous with advice and opinions, and receptive to those of others
- Demonstrated experience with heritage brands and revitalizing them to reach diverse audiences.
- History of driving results, shown through increases in membership, retail sales (e.g. books, lodging, apparel), and/or web analytics
- Proven willingness to identify, secure and steward partnerships to lift AMC’s mission.
- A strong writer and editor
- Personal commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and a passion for building and sustaining those values into AMC’s marketing and communications strategy
- Experience raising awareness among underrepresented communities
- The ability to travel safely in the backcountry in all weather conditions carrying up to 30 pounds of gear is preferred
- Overall travel expectations to various AMC facilities and regions is estimated at 25% of the time
- BA/BS degree required; MBA a plus
Salary range: $175,000-$185,000. AMC offers comprehensive benefits to full-time employees.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome all candidates to apply and we invite the full participation of all individuals currently underrepresented in the outdoor community. This includes, but is not limited to individuals from all backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, abilities, and individuals who experience intersectionality with one or more of these identities.
All candidate submissions will be reviewed for possible job fit. Qualified candidates will be asked to submit supporting documents such as cover letter, writing samples or portfolio links as part of the screening process.