Virginia State Director
Type of Job
$85,000 - $100,000
Mar 17, 2023
About the job
Generation180 inspires and equips individuals to take action on clean energy in their homes and communities. We create opportunities for new voices to be heard as clean energy advocates and we invest in their growth as leaders.
Generation180 runs scalable campaigns using creative communication and organizing strategies rooted in behavioral science that inspire people to act. Current campaigns include:
- Electrify Your Life: a campaign that educates consumers, policymakers, and the media about electrification- including electric vehicles (EVs)- and equips enthusiasts to be ambassadors
- Electric School Buses: a campaign helping school decision makers, policymakers, and the public understand how to electrify buses as soon as possible
- Solar For All Schools: a campaign leading a movement of schools switching to solar through education and advocacy
- Flip The Script: a program that deploys creative communications and cultural strategies across a variety of platforms telling motivating, compelling clean energy stories
Generation180 is helping to spur a movement that will speed up the transition toward a more equitable clean energy economy.
Generation180 has supported the transition to clean energy and clean transportation in Virginia since 2016. We led advocacy campaigns that supported the passage of critical state policies in support of clean energy, including Clean Car Standards, the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI), and the Virginia Clean Economy Act (VCEA). In addition, Generation180 has reached thousands of Virginians, inspiring and equipping them to take action on clean energy through community events, virtual trainings, educational resources, and more. Generation180 develops and trains networks of clean energy advocates, such as our electric vehicle ambassadors and K-12 school leaders. We use creative communications to tell the human stories necessary to translate complicated policies into meaningful opportunities for Virginians.
There is now a major opportunity to speed up emissions reductions and the realization of a clean energy economy for Virginia by fully implementing the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA), and other new funding sources in the Commonwealth. Generation180 is ready to seize the moment to scale our current work in Virginia to maximize the potential.
We are looking for a strategic leader to join our team who is committed to empowering others to make an impact in the transition to clean energy and electric transportation. The Virginia Director is a multi-faceted position responsible for the development and growth of Generation180’s campaigns and impact across the state. The Virginia Director will also contribute to the national campaigns and projects supporting the organization’s mission. Importantly, Generation180 is working to facilitate access to Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) funds and other clean energy funding opportunities for home energy upgrades, transportation electrification, school facility improvements, and electric school buses in Virginia.
The Director will handle a variety of responsibilities including strategic planning, recruiting, engaging and convening new audiences, partnership and ambassador development, media and marketing, clean energy advocacy, and more. This position will require strong management skills and experience leading on advocacy and engagement campaigns. The Virginia Director will need an extensive working knowledge of the state clean energy landscape and have a strong contact network in Virginia.
Strategic Planning and Program Management
- Lead the strategy, development, and growth of Generation180’s campaigns in Virginia, in conjunction with Generation180’s Executive Director and Program Directors.
- Establish the state campaign priorities and budget.
- Serve as chief strategist and point-of-contact on local and state issues for Virginia.
- Collaborate with partner organizations to plan, organize, and execute program-related events – virtual and in-person.
- Work closely with the Communications team to develop and deploy creative marketing and media strategies.
- Identify and create resources as needed.
- Assist with fundraising and donor relations for Generation180’s work in Virginia.
- Keep Generation180 staff up-to-date on Virginia’s clean energy landscape.
- Be flexible to provide administrative and programmatic support as needed.
- Represent Generation180 in working groups, cohorts, and related meetings.
- Identify the best potential partners in Virginia, research and enter target communities, and build relationships with key local leaders and spokespeople.
- Develop relationships with partner organizations and environmental nonprofits.
- In collaboration with the Director of Engagement and Program Directors, develop and support statewide ambassador networks of EV ambassadors, K-12 school leaders, and other clean energy advocates.
- Help organize leadership development and training opportunities for clean energy leaders and ambassadors.
- Represent Generation180 at community meetings and other events with stakeholders and partners.
- Passion for Generation180’s mission.
- Minimum of 5+ years professional experience in project/program/campaign management.
- Demonstrated understanding of climate context and political/social issues of Virginia.
- Established professional network in Virginia related to clean energy and climate.
- Experience with staff and volunteer management and/or field management.
- Experience using customer relationship management (CRM) tools, strongly preferred.
- Effective relationship-building skills with experience working across sectors and organizations (e.g.,corporations, legislators, academia), often with non-traditional partners, to build large, coordinated efforts that drive strong outcomes.
- Experience working with the media is preferred.
- Passion for storytelling and developing compelling messages.
- An understanding of multi-channel marketing strategies is ideal.
- Attention to detail with strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Exceptional professionalism, follow-through, and people skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility and ability to wear many hats as part of a small, fast-moving team.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a good sense of humor.
- High comfort level with digital technology.
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We are a team-oriented organization. Generation180 employees enjoy a positive, fun and collaborative work environment and have the opportunity to make a significant impact on the planning, execution, and growth of the organization.
Generation180 staff has regular social events together (virtual and in-person), including staff retreats.
- We walk the talk and encourage use of local energy and low-carbon choices at home and work.
- We encourage work-life balance and allow staff to flex hours during the week.
- We welcome diversity and unique experiences and perspectives, including women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals.
This is a 1-year, full-time contract position with a strong likelihood for renewal. Compensation range is $85,000-$100,000 per year based on experience. We welcome candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who have the skills to fulfill this role.
Applicants must live in or be willing to relocate to Virginia. The location within Virginia is flexible. This position can be fully remote, or work from our headquarters in Charlottesville.
Everyone on the Generation180 team is fully vaccinated for COVID-19. We require that all new team members be vaccinated too. We are following all local, state, and national guidelines.
How To Apply
Position open until filled. Priority consideration given to candidates who apply by April 11, 2023. Please submit a resume and cover letter specific to this position to email@example.com. Include “VA Director” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Generation180 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is seeking a diverse slate of candidates for formal consideration. Applicants with unique experiences and perspectives, including women, people of color and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.