Vice President of Programs and Policy
Remote or Portland, Maine
Type of Job
$100,000 to $120,000
Jan 18, 2023
About the job
Join the fight for environmental public health and justice! Help secure equal access for all people to safe food and drinking water, healthy homes, and products that are toxic-free and climate-friendly. Help empower impacted communities, end racial disparities, prevent plastic pollution, and more.
Defend Our Health works nationally and at the state level to fix our broken chemical safety system and promote a just and sustainable materials economy. We use the best science and grassroots power to persuade decision-makers in government and industry to act on solutions.
We’re looking a seasoned nonprofit leader and program manager with experience in planning and running science-based advocacy campaigns aimed at influencing government and corporate policymaking. The successful candidate will be a persuasive communicator with the mind of an analyst, the heart of an organizer, and the chops of a campaigner. You must be a team builder with a demonstrated commitment to racial, economic, and environmental justice.
Ø Plan and manage strategic issue campaigns to shape government and corporate policy
Ø Ensure the scientific and analytical integrity of our research and science-based advocacy
Ø Achieve synergy between our policy and markets work, and our state and national programs
Ø Supervise 4 or more program directors, ensuring their success and developing their talent
Ø Work with our Communications Team to amplify and strengthen campaign messaging and with our Development Team to raise grant funds and major gifts to fuel our program work
Ø Advise the Executive Director on organizational priorities as part of the Executive Team
· Seven years of directly relevant experience with progressively increasing responsibility
· Proven ability to plan and run issue campaigns that persuade decision makers to take action
· Ability to integrate advocacy, organizing, and communications within strategic campaigns
· Proven success in supervision, developing staff talent, and building effective teams
· Strong analytical skills, applied to policy research, data analysis, and campaign planning
· Strong listening and communication skills that help motivate and move people into action
· Direct experience with environmental health and environmental justice campaigns
· Experience with corporate campaigns, brand engagement, or market transformation work
· Strong science background and/or experience working with scientific experts
· Understanding of and experience with direct organizing (as distinct from advocacy)
· Spanish-language fluency and/or other measures of multi-cultural competency
Compensation: $100,000 to $120,000 annual salary, depending on experience
Benefits: Very competitive, with health insurance, retirement, flexible work schedule and more
TO APPLY: Go to https://careers.jobscore.com/careers/defendourhealth, click on this position title, and upload a cover letter and resumé and submit a brief job application. This position will remain open until filled.
Defend Our Health is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, justice and access in all that we do. Candidates from historically under-represented constituencies are strongly encouraged to apply. Currently, more than 40% of our staff identify as people of color or multi-racial, and a majority of staff are women.
Our physical office is located in Portland, Maine – one the of best small cities in America and with a high quality of place. Currently, most staff work remotely in five different states with semi-regular in-person forays to the central office and with frequent virtual communication. For more information, visit us at www.defendourhealth.org.