Vice President of DEIJ
Type of Job
Sep 20, 2021
About the job
Defenders of Wildlife is deeply committed to fostering a positive, inclusive, and safe workplace where all voices are heard and our employees can do their best work. It is essential that our organization is vibrant and staff are engaged as we focus on our vital biodiversity conservation mission.
The vice president of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ) is a member of Defenders’ Leadership Team and leads the development and execution of DEIJ initiatives in support of Defenders’ Strategic Plan. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, they will work organization-wide to incorporate Defenders’ Commitment Statement, Values Statement and the Strategic Plan’s goal to mobilize a broader constituency for wildlife conservation throughout the workflows and culture of the organization. They will advise on substantive internal and external-facing strategies, policies and processes to ensure that the efforts align with, support and advance Defenders’ DEIJ vision and goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with the Leadership Team on unified DEIJ implementation throughout Defenders through strategy planning and creation of step-down goals that support the Strategic Plan;
- Track progress toward Strategic Plan goals by establishing and tracking organizational DEIJ-based key performance indicators and metrics;
- Coordinate across programs and departments to ensure that DEIJ-based objectives, resources and approaches are unified and amplified throughout the organization;
- In partnership with Human Resources, develop and implement internal programs that support DEIJ efforts, to include employee resource groups, mentorship and career development programs for BIPOC employees and internship/fellowship programs;
- In partnership with Human Resources, develop internal systems, best practices and policies that support diversity, equity and inclusion, to include compensation philosophy, recruiting and hiring practices, employee development and performance management;
- In partnership with Human Resources, develop and execute a DEIJ-based learning program;
- In partnership with Communications, establish an external communications strategy for key DEIJ messaging;
- Represent Defenders in external DEIJ coalitions within the environmental community and the nonprofit sector more broadly, where appropriate;
- Provide leadership and supervision to direct reports, to include development, program accountability and performance management;
- Create an accurate and realistic annual department budget, and oversee spending against the budget;
- Provide support to the President and CEO and Leadership Team on DEIJ-based engagement;
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Experience: 15 years; 7 years supervisory; 5 years managing 2+ layers
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Visit www.defenders.org to apply.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Defenders requires employees who engage in in-person work activities, including business travel or onsite work, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An applicant (i) who is disabled or pregnant or who has a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination or (ii) who objects to being vaccinated on the basis of a sincerely held religious belief, observance or practice may request an exemption from this vaccination policy. This determination will be made on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with applicable law. Any medical information concerning an applicant's disability will be treated as a confidential medical record in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws.