Vice President, Clean Energy Innovations
Denver / Boulder, CO
Type of Job
180,000 - 300,000
Jun 23, 2021
About the job
Please apply at - Careers at REBA (smartrecruiters.com)
REBA and the REBA Institute (together called “the REBA Organizations” and referred to below as “REBA”) seek a senior-level executive to join their team to spearhead the organizations’ programs to solve the toughest clean-energy market barriers. Our vision is a resilient, zero-carbon energy system where all organizations have a viable path to renewable energy.
This role reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer and leads an expanding team of direct reports and contractors with a $3-$4M, and growing, budget. The Innovation team is responsible for ensuring public policy, legislation, regulations, and market-structures support clean energy markets. The team overcomes barriers in policies, contracting structures, and technology deployment. This team requires creativity, initiative, analytic and strategic positioning, and influence skills, as well as negotiation and conflict resolution skills and the ability to thrive in ambiguous, fast-changing work environments.
The ideal candidate will embody the following professional attributes and core competencies:
· Strategic Thought Leader and Critical Thinker.There are no clear-cut answers to the clean energy challenges the REBA Organizations seek to solve. As a senior executive on the REBA team, the Vice President must demonstrate an ability to:
o actively assists the CEO in articulating a compelling and inspired vision of the future, drawing on deep industry knowledge and extensive management-level experience;
o develop long-term strategies at the organization and program level, link those strategies into mid-term operational plans and annual tactical plans, and oversee a team of mid and junior level staff to execute the strategy;
o influence experts in the development of innovative energy policies, regulations, market structures, or other practices;
o lead professional consulting teams on empirical analyses and predictive modeling;
o have an ability to make strategic, principled trade-offs to prioritize work.
· Change Champion. REBA seeks a leader with a history of driving non-incremental transformation in energy, climate, or environmental fields, and has a demonstrated history of:
o bringing creative ideas to market through innovation and entrepreneurial thinking;
o aligning and influencing policymakers, peer trade- and non-profit organizations toward transforming markets to accelerate decarbonization and achieve systemic change;
o demonstrating flexibility to lead a team through ambiguity and sometimes rapidly-shifting priorities in the face of quickly changing market and organizational dynamics and priorities;
o balancing engagement with senior leadership (CEO and Board of Directors) with independent leadership of a sizeable program;
o working with a diverse group of constituents and stakeholders to solve differences in opinions, devise plans in the face of ambiguity, and drive forward.
· Team Partner. As a Vice President at REBA, this leader will play an important role in leading a team, building coalitions, and navigating multiple relationships. The winning candidate must have a history of:
o being a strong developer of people and teams, understanding and leveraging diversity to build strong team dynamics, mentoring and sponsoring others within the organization and in the industry, and fostering open and respectful dialogue;
o demonstrating a cross-functional approach to problem-solving and engaging peers, direct-reports, the CEO, as well as external stakeholders in doing the same;
o possessing a growth mindset, frequently soliciting feedback and growing their own skills.
· Impactful Communicator. The Vice President will represent REBA in high level meetings with policymakers at the highest level, board members, and other senior leaders. The VP will:
o provide senior-level guidance on story-lining, persuasive arguments, and elevator pitches;
o develop inspiring messaging and communications for broad, very senior level audiences such as policymakers, board members, and others;
o demonstrate industry-wide leadership in strategic communications on policy, regulatory, technological, or market barriers and solutions;
o be sought out for public speaking engagements and written articles and reports;
o steward high-impact, complex partnerships with respect.
· Results Driver. The Vice President will be accountable for the organization delivering on projects and initiatives, and will have a proven ability to:
o lead programs to meet milestones and goals with measurable results;
o fundraise for multi-million dollar programs;
o prioritize work, balancing ambitious goals with the realities of limited resources;
o lead a team with the goal of achieving excellence in all finished work products;
o demonstrate high personal standards and steadfastly leads others to achieve desired outcomes;
o demonstrates and encourages perseverance and grit when faced with setbacks.
· Industry Expert. The ideal candidate will be a versatile and relentless learner and sought out by peers, internally and externally, to provide knowledge and experience in one or more of the following:
o current and future energy policies, practices, trends, and information affecting REBA and its members, including energy market regulatory frameworks and/or policy enablers to clean energy markets;
o corporate clean energy procurement tools;
o energy and carbon accounting protocols, frameworks, and recognition programs (RECs, GHG protocol, etc);
o leadership in the private sector, trade association, or non-profit leadership.
· Model of REBA’s core values and tenets. As a senior leader, the Vice President will be expected to demonstrate REBA’s values of Respect, Integrity, Service and Excellence through personal actions and words, as well as effectively and professionally hold others accountable for adherence to the same. REBA’s core values and tenets:
o Respect in our treatment of people and the planet: teammates, members, stakeholders, and even those who disagree with REBA’s purpose
o Integrity in how we conduct ourselves
o Service to colleagues, members, and REBA’s mission
o Excellence in our programs and work REBA
§ Mission- oriented, grounded by strategy
§ A spirit of partnership inside and outside of REBA
§ Innovation and entrepreneurship through healthy and respectful dialogue and debate
· Help develop, launch, and implement a 10-year strategy and 5-year operational plan for the REBA Organizations to achieve their ambitious goals;
· Create annual tactical implementation plans, providing strategic guidance to the team on how to prioritize so that they can work smarter, not harder;
· Lead, manage, mentor, and grow teams, as well as manage team organizational charts to optimize efforts;
· Work closely with the CEO and philanthropy team to expand resources;
· Represent REBA in policymaker forums;
· Be a key member of the REBA Organizations’ leadership teams to ensure the organizations success.
· Executive level (VP or higher) experience at a corporation, trade association, non-profit organization, philanthropic foundation
· Broad and deep corporate relationships with Fortune 500 companies, and an ability to understand private-sector priorities, language, and challenges
· Demonstrated experience with seven figure grants
· Experience with an early-stage organization
· Bachelors, Masters, or equivalent professional experience in: business, public administration, or non-profit management
Our Salary and Benefits
We offer competitive compensation plus a comprehensive benefits package that aims to develop a world class team by holistically supporting the individual. REBA believes that supporting all employees to have a full life, inside and outside of work, results in a team that feels personally engaged in REBA’s success.
Our executive salary band (VP, SVP, and EVP) ranges from $180,000-$300,000, with a 25% bonus opportunity. REBA strives for salary equity based on the job, and the candidate’s experience, skills, education, and (once hired) performance at REBA—not based on a candidate’s negotiation skills, gender, race, sexual orientation, or any other non-skills based attributes.
- Quality Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance, with substantial employer subsidy
- 401(k), with employer match
- Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Generous Parental Leave for both mothers and fathers to bond when new children enter a family
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
- Highly Flexible PTO
- Earned sabbatical policy
Our Commitment to Diversity
Achieving REBA’s vision of a resilient, zero-carbon energy system requires creative problem-solving and a wide range of perspectives; REBA knows that diversity not only makes our organization stronger, but also is foundational to our mission success.
REBA is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace in which all employees have an opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business and are valued for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in company policy and the way we do business at REBA and is an important principle of sound business management.
Inclusion goes beyond diversity. All REBA staff shall be committed to accepting and encouraging different perspectives. Creative solutions to tough problems is fostered by respectful challenging of one another’s thoughts and assumptions. REBA will strive for inclusion also by being open to a variety of cultural practices and norms. We will strive to ever increase our understanding and unveil our unconscious biases.
REBA provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, results of genetic testing, caregiver status, and past, present or prospective service in the military in addition to any other protected categories required by state, federal or local regulations. Equal employment opportunity, applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, discipline, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, benefits and training.
Please apply at - Careers at REBA (smartrecruiters.com)