Vice President, Brand
Type of Job
Apr 21, 2022
About the job
The Communications Division uses creative and strategic tools to further the mission of the National Geographic Society (NGS), while maintaining our place as one of the world’s most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. The team’s creative minds develop and execute mission-driven, on-brand and strategic communications, marketing, creative and impact media for NGS and amplify this content on our own channels, partner with teams to amplify across licensed National Geographic channels, and through earned media. The team is composed of six integrated departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Vice President, Brand is a senior leader in the Communications Division and is responsible for developing brand initiatives that optimize the National Geographic brand and further the mission and appeal of National Geographic Society. The VP, Brand will establish strategies to reach global audiences in relevant and meaningful ways. Also responsible for stewarding brand management across the Society and its partners, the VP of Brand will oversee the cultivation of a unifying brand story for the Society, emphasize and execute our “One Voice, One Brand, One National Geographic” approach, and ensure that National Geographic brand pillars show up as an authentic brand expression across all existing and new marketing efforts and brand activations. The VP, Brand reports to the Chief Communications Officer and will manage a small team.
Brand Management (50%)
- Lead brand management across the Society and serve as a key brand management liaison to partners that are licensed to amplify the brand. Work closely with partner groups, such as the National Geographic magazine, books, travel, events, and consumer products teams on brand expression and activations.
- As the “brand guardian” and resident expert on brand guidelines, maintain brand integrity across all initiatives, products, partnerships, activations, and all opportunities, ensuring consistent adherence to brand guidelines and standards.
- Provide strategic direction to creative, marketing, and other teams executing the brand.
Brand Opportunities and Partnerships (25%)
- Vet new opportunities and partnerships and assess how they align with NGS’ brand standards and mission.
- Assess potential brand or reputational risk vs. reward and recommend opportunities to leadership.
Training and Development (15%)
- In collaboration with the CCO, roll out a global brand training process and develop materials that inspire stewardship of the National Geographic brand.
- Facilitate training across NGS on an ongoing basis and work with key partners to inform their education of the brand.
- Update the training modules as needed.
- Establish metrics for success and mechanisms for data collection.
- Collect, measure and report data on success of utilizing new brand standards.
- Work in collaboration with the CCO to develop executive-level reports on brand impact, brand awareness among audience targets and support of the NGS strategic plan.
What You’ll Bring
Bachelor’s degree is required. Credentials in communications, branding, marketing, business or related field. MBA or advanced degree preferred.
Minimum Years of Experience
15+ years, including at least 5+ working in a complex organization with global brand recognition
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to work with a variety of internal constituents.
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially and exercise good professional judgment.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to navigate complex business environments
- Strong people and prioritization skills.
- Experience managing or supporting a global brand preferred.
- Proven success acting as a brand guardian while strategically assessing and adding partners and advancing growth opportunities.
- Experience assessing brand risk and knowing when to pursue new opportunities and when to decline them.
- Proven ability to collaborate in a highly matrixed and complex environment, serving as a tactical and strategic advisor, coach, and partner.
- Hybrid - This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday).
- Travel - The VP, Brand could travel up to 25% of time on an annual basis, based on their comfort level and at the discretion of the CCO.