Utility Scale PV Project Engineer
Type of Job
Feb 2, 2023
About the job
Sol Systems is seeking a Utility Project Engineer who will provide technical guidance during project development, pre-construction, financial closing, and construction for utility scale photovoltaic power plants across the United States. An excellent opportunity for an individual with experience managing multiple concurrent projects and resources from a technical perspective, through many phases of the project life. This is a multi-faceted role that involves project level technical diligence, optimization, project development engineering, construction support, risk analysis.
Sol Systems designs and delivers comprehensive procurement and investment solutions for businesses, municipalities, and institutional investors to achieve sustainability goals and community impact. Sol Systems was founded in 2008 and has grown into a national leading integrated platform that includes infrastructure assets, commodity and financial services, customer service and asset management. Sol has over a gigawatt of solar projects with a national footprint and a diverse customer, investor, and partner base.
- Develop and optimize PV layouts in accordance with land characteristics, permitting constraints, and optimizing for energy harvest, constructability and price efficiency, and long-term operation. Experience creating utility scale PV layouts and preliminary plan sets in AutoCAD a plus.
- Perform energy modeling studies using tools such as PVsyst to ensure production targets are optimized and meet financial goals.
- Provide support and management of technical aspects of the project development process, including permitting, interconnection, communications, environmental, topographical, geotechnical, etc.
- Oversee design reviews of EPC drawings as Owner and ensure the delivery of the PV system meets prudent industry standards and commercial targets are aligned with the goals of the investment.
- Maintain an organized and clearly documented set of project specific technical deliverables.
- Interface with the projects’ independent engineer to ensure reports are accurately created and protect both the interests of development and long-term ownership.
- Provide construction RFI support as the owner’s engineer.
- Provide technical leadership in conjunction with the team to support key stakeholders’ interests.
- Conduct site visits and inspections prior to or in support of project completion.
- Source and manage external consultants and partners, including developing Scope of Work documents, managing RFP process, and controlling scope and schedule to obtain similar deliverables.
A successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Curious and motivated to acquire a deep understanding of renewable energy fundamentals
- 3+ years of experience in utility-scale PV system design and engineering
- 5 years minimum total engineering experience in renewable energy or construction
- Familiarity with utility-scale PV construction practices
- Ability to view engineering and technical matters through a commercial lens
- Able to travel approximately 15% of the time, as required by project location and type
- Ability to identify interconnection solutions, constraints, and risks a plus
- Accustomed to engaging varying project stakeholders including investors, EPC partners, developers, and O&M partners
- Strong understanding of energy modeling, solar resource assessments and capability to advise internal and external stakeholders to achieve agreeable and achievable production targets
- Experienced in working with 3rd party Independent Engineering firms
- Able to identify cost or schedule drivers and implement specific actions to optimize and protect both total installed budget and completion schedule targets
Location: This position is based in our Washington, DC office. Candidates based in the contiguous 48 states with ability to travel to project sites and our DC office on occasion will be considered.
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation and title will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Sol Systems provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, transportation benefits, education benefits, paid vacation and federal holidays, plus the opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements. Applicants that are missing items from this list will not be considered.
Deadline: We hope to hire for this position immediately and will review applicants on a rolling basis.
Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other trait. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.