Urban Forester I
Washington, DC USA
Type of Job
About the job
The Urban Forester 1 (UF1) is responsible for the management and smooth execution of Casey Trees’ tree planting programs on both public and private lands. This incumbent fields and schedules tree planting and related consultations on a year-round basis with property owners and others, responds to referrals from local government, industry partners and others. The Urban Forester also coordinates spring, fall and winter tree plantings to flow seamlessly with other tree planting activities and events.
The following essential functions are representative of the Urban Forester 1 including, but not limited to:
- Manages planting initiatives such as RiverSmart Homes, Tree Rebate and others
- Fields planting requests; conducts pre- and post-site visits; recommends tree species w/in Casey Trees’ guidelines; submits procurement requests; schedules/confirms planting of tree(s); conducts follow-up site visits, etc.
- Assists the Director of Tree Operations with program monitoring, evaluation of planted trees and program enhancement
- Responds to public inquiries, conducts community outreach, teaches classes, and assists with organization-wide activities and related events
- Maintains and cultivates relationships with individuals, organizations and groups to engage, educate and involve them in Casey Trees’ mission; attends community meetings to promote CT activities and events
- Communicates and distributes information/promotional materials including flyers, brochures, publications, press releases, etc.
- Provides support for trainings, classes, workshops, tours, demonstrations, etc.
- Collaborates across the organization to execute grants, contracts, programs and activities
- Demonstrates professionalism and models positive behaviors for staff and volunteers
- Provides clear direction and feedback for Tree Operations staff to ensure superior quality of work and on-time completion
- Promotes a safety culture by coordinating trainings and eliminating/controlling hazardous conditions resulting from human error, equipment and machine operations that may lead to human injury and/or property damage
- Adheres to organizational policies and procedures including, but not limited to: attendance, timeliness, conduct, professionalism, appearance, customer service, etc.
- Performs other duties, as assigned
- Maintains knowledge of horticulture, forestry, and urban forestry
- Plants, prunes and provides tree care techniques
- Uses and maintains/repairs small motorized equipment
- Makes recommendations to management, as appropriate
- Associates degree in arboriculture, horticulture, urban forestry, or related field plus one year of experience, or; Bachelor's degree in one of these disciplines or; equivalent combination of education and experience
- ISA Certified Arborist credential upon hire, or; within the first year of employment
- Valid driver's license, clean driving record, ability to safely drive work vehicles including a pickup truck and trailer
- Knowledge of, and ability to learn Geographic Information Systems, SalesForce, and Microsoft Office
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to develop business, and curate projects with existing or new clientele
- Professional demeanor; excellent interpersonal skills; strong written and oral communication abilities, and; the ability to positively and professionally interact and work with diverse audiences such as homeowners, volunteers, and professionals
- Knowledge of urban tree planting/landscape operations, tree stock type and sizes, selection, nursery operations, ANSI standards, etc.
- Ability to work both independently as well as in a team environment
Apply at caseytrees.org/jobs