Type of Job
$66,643.20 - $74,880.00
Sep 15, 2023
About the job
This position performs professional work related to urban forest management and the development, planning, and application of methods and practices directed toward the establishment of a sustainable and resilient urban environment. This position is also critical in community engagement and education regarding urban tree benefits for resilient communities. Work is performed under the regular supervision of Deputy Director Sustainability and Environment
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
· Follows safe practices in the performance of duties.
· Responsible for the management and implementation of the City’s Urban Forest Action Plan.
· Responsible for enforcement of City ordinances related to trees.
· Manages and maintains street and park tree inventories, and urban tree canopy data.
· Records and documents all tree planting and maintenance activities into data management systems
· Conducts comprehensive data analysis including measuring program successes and failures toward achieving goals; identifying and address program opportunities, challenges, and weaknesses; and preparing regular reports.
· Manages City role in neighborhood street tree planting, Arbor Day and other tree planting initiatives with external partners.
· Assists Arborist in monitoring and evaluating street and park trees for hazardous conditions, insect or disease infestations and potential problems, and identifies street and park tree planting opportunities.
· Develops and maintains operational work plans and budgets.
· Inspects and assesses the impact of construction activities on turban trees and natural environment.
· Assists staff and consultants in developing standards and guidelines for the protection, preservation and care of trees, vegetation and green spaces.
· Assists with review of development plans including site plans, subdivision plats, rezoning and special use permits.
· Provides technical and administrative support to the Shade Tree Commission (meeting attendance required); community and neighborhood groups; and external partners and stakeholders, as needed.
· Assists in planning green infrastructure and capital improvements.
· Assists with planning and management of Public Works, Community Planning and Economic Development and other City programs related to urban forestry, horticulture, sustainability, climate, resiliency, stormwater management, and the environment.
· Assists as needed with inspections of green infrastructure projects.
· Provides community outreach and education in urban forestry, sustainability, and other environmental programs, and assist with updates to tree related information on the City websites.
· Researches and prepares appropriate grant applications, manages grant programs.
· Performs additional tasks as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of safe practices related to Public Works.
· Knowledge and familiarity with the effective use of computers, equipment and software, including Microsoft Office, ArcGIS, i-Tree Tools, and other tree inventory and analysis software.
· Knowledge of the City ordinances related to trees.
· Knowledge of urban forestry, forest pest management and arboricultural practices.
· Knowledge of horticultural and landscape installation and maintenance practices.
· Knowledge of the practical application of green infrastructure, environmental and sustainability practices.
· Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, statistics, and their applications.
· Skills in reading and understanding basic mapping and site plans.
· Proven ability to follow directions and complete assignments is required.
· Proven ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English is required.
· Ability to operate a vehicle on private and public streets is required.
· Proven ability to work as part of a team and to collaborate successfully with others is required.
· Proven ability to adapt to new or changed situations and to show flexibility in making improvements in work processes and operations is required.
· Proven ability to exhibit customer-centered behaviors and to focus on customer needs is required.
· Proven ability to commit to excellence in service and to continuous improvement is required.
Education, Training and Experience
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in urban forestry, forestry, horticulture, environmental science, landscape architecture or related field; plus two years of related experience in forestry, arboriculture, or landscape architecture, relating to urban forest management.
· Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree with a major in planning, environmental science, botany, or a related field; plus four years’ experience in urban forestry, natural resource planning, sustainability, environmental planning or related field.
· Experience and training in urban forest planning, management and inventories, as well as forest pest management is helpful.
Licenses and Certificates
· ISA Certified Arborist or ISA Certified Arborist Municipal Specialist required.
· Able to obtain Chesapeake Bay Landscape Professional Certification within 2 years
· Possession of a valid Pennsylvania State Driver’s License is required.
This position requires working outdoors in varied weather conditions.
Safety Equipment Used or Needed
- Requires operation of a motor vehicle.
- Requires occasional lifting up to 20 lbs of force.
- This description was prepared to indicate the kinds of activities and levels of work difficulty required of positions in this class. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities.