Type of Job
Jan 10, 2023
About the job
Please apply directly via our job board - https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mncppc/jobs/3766278/urban-forester-11201-grade-22
Do you love trees and want to be part of an innovative Urban Forestry program? Montgomery Parks is the place for you!
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is seeking an Urban Forester to work within Montgomery Parks Department. This position will work in the Arboriculture Section, part of the Horticulture Forestry and Environmental Education Division to perform hazard tree assessments in response to citizen and park staff requests for tree inspection and prescribe appropriate mitigation measures.
The Arboriculture section provides tree care and maintenance in Montgomery Parks countywide and coordinates several programs including tree preservation, green waste recycling, and hazard tree inspection and mitigation. We cultivate an environment of teamwork and respect with an ongoing dedication to performance improvement.
Work Location: Green Farm Maintenance Facility; Gaithersburg, Maryland
Examples of Important Duties
- Inspects trees from work requests generated by citizens and park staff to identify tree risk based on International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) tree risk assessment guidelines and prescribe appropriate mitigation treatments
- Prioritizes work requests based on level of tree risk, identifies appropriate staff and equipment needed to complete the job, negotiates site access issues and estimates time for park tree crews to complete work
- Manages contractors doing tree maintenance work on parkland. Obtains estimates, schedules work, and inspects work upon completion to ensure work quality standards are met
- Evaluates trees to detect pests, diseases and other health issues, recommends treatment and implements measures to prevent infestations and maintain good tree health
- Responds to, investigates, and resolves inquiries and complaints concerning tree maintenance issues, communicates with the public and park staff.
- Uses data collection devices and GIS to collect data and manage a tree inventory database
- Contributes and participates in educational events including internal trainings, Arbor Day and our annual Urban Tree Summit
- Makes presentations to the public, citizen groups, community organizations, employees and special interest groups as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
1. ISA Tree Risk Qualification (TRAQ)
2. Experience working with data collection devices and GIS software
Important Worker Characteristics:
A. Considerable knowledge of: (1) taxonomy; (2) arboriculture and urban forestry; (3) pesticides/integrated pest management; (4) Commission activities, organization, policies, procedures*.
B. Skill in the operation of: office equipment, including personal computer with applicable software; first aid and CPR*; and urban forestry tools and equipment customarily used in the performance of duties and responsibilities.
C. Ability to: (1) solve complex problems; (2) analyze and evaluate data; (3) calculate fractions, decimals, and percentages; (4) interpret technical reports and correspondence; (5) read and write technical reports and correspondence; (6) effectively communicate and deliver presentations to various audiences; (7) organize work efficiently and effectively; and (8) provide courteous service.
*May be developed after employment in this job class.
1. Bachelor's degree in urban forestry, arboriculture, or related disciplines; or four years of progressively responsible experience in one area; and
2. Four years of progressively responsible professional forestry, arboriculture experience; or
3. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
4. Certified Arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture.
5. An appropriate Maryland State Pesticide Applicator's Certificate is required within 6 months of employment.
6. Valid driver's license in accordance with both State and Commission rules and regulations. Driver's licenses must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee's ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required of their position.
7. Pass Commission medical exam.
Classification Specification: Urban Forester (4470)
Include work indoors and outdoors. Exposed to weather, dirt, wildlife, and insects. May occasionally work evenings and weekends.
Person(s) hired for this position must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (with limited religious or medical exceptions).
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor. We will do what we can to provide reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at 301-495-4525 to request accommodation.