Urban Bird Conservation and Community Engagement Intern
Remote, however Greater Milwaukee, WI or Chicago, IL preferred
Type of Job
starting at $12.5/hour
Jul 7, 2023
About the job
Job Title: Urban Bird Conservation and Community Engagement Intern
Location(s): Remote, however Greater Milwaukee, WI or Chicago, IL preferred
Reports to: Vice President of US & Canada Operations
Term: This is a part -time internship position for a period of six months. The start and end dates are flexible and can be negotiated.
American Bird Conservancy (ABC) is the Western Hemisphere's bird conservation specialist. ABC is the only organization with a single and steadfast commitment to achieving conservation results for birds and their habitats throughout the Americas. We are currently looking for a motivated, self-starting and detail-oriented individual with forestry and wildlife habitat project management experience to join our Great Lakes Team.
The Urban Bird Conservation and Community Engagement Intern will be responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of urban bird conservation projects and promoting justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) in conservation efforts. The intern will work with a team of experienced conservationists from ABC, US Fish & Wildlife Service and other partners to engage local communities in conservation efforts that benefit urban birds. This position is ideal for someone who is passionate about wildlife conservation and community engagement, and wants to gain hands-on experience in the field.
- Assist in the planning two workshops as follows:
- Urban Collisions Workshop – work with the Upper Mississippi Great Lakes Joint Venture (UMGLJV) Urban Bird Conservation Deliver Network to develop a plan for a Chicago based workshop focused on urban bird collisions. The plan will include all aspects of workshop coordination including but not limited to developing the focus for the meeting, selecting meeting location, developing the schedule, identifying speakers and developing invitation list.
- Bird Friendly Buildings Workshop – work with ABC staff to develop a plan for a workshop in conjunction with University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee School of Architecture to focus on architects and architecture students. The plan will include all aspects of workshop coordination including but not limited to setting the meeting location and schedule, identifying speakers/presenters, assisting with soliciting event sponsorship, event promotion and developing invitation list.
- Urban bird conservation projects, with a focus on promoting JEDI in conservation efforts
- Help to engage local communities, particularly those from marginalized backgrounds, in urban bird conservation efforts.
- Assist in data collection and analysis related to existing community engagement programs and activities and prepare reports and presentations on project progress and findings related to community engagement activities within the UMGLJV region.
- Contribute to the development of JEDI-focused conservation strategies for urban bird species.
- Currently enrolled in a degree program in environmental science, biology, ecology, social science, architecture or a related field, or recently graduated.
- Strong interest in bird conservation and community engagement, particularly in promoting JEDI in conservation efforts.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with community engagement preferred.
This is paid position. ABC anticipates approximately 300 hours (12 to 13 hours/week) of work at an hourly rate of starting at $12.5/hour. The number of hours per week worked are flexible to meet the needs of the intern and the nature of work.
The intern will gain valuable hands-on experience in urban bird conservation and community engagement, with a focus on promoting JEDI in conservation efforts. The intern may have opportunities to attend meetings with conservation partners, workshops, conferences, and other professional development events. Additionally, this internship may be extended for an additional three to six months depending on funding availability.
Applicants should apply online at Paylocity.
If you have trouble submitting an application, please send your cover letter and resume as one document to HR@abcbirds.org
American Bird Conservancy values qualifications and competency. As an equal opportunity employer, ABC is committed to ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.