New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
$15-$17 hourly BOE
Jun 18, 2023
About the job
Join the Mohonk Preserve Team!
Trailhead Ranger – Part-time; Seasonal
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ) goals. Mohonk Preserve encourages applications from women, minorities and/or other underrepresented groups.
About the Position:
We have a strong and dedicated Visitor Experience Department and Ranger staff. We are seeking an outgoing team member who loves the outdoors and has excellent communication and customer service skills, and experience working with the public. Bi-lingual preferred. Trailhead Rangers report directly to the Trailhead Manager.
Seasonal, Temporary, Non-exempt
Starting wage: $15 -$17 per hour based on experience
- Excellent customer service skills
- Adherence to Mohonk Preserve’s values
- Welcoming Preserve visitors at trailhead entry points and collecting fees
- Selling Preserve memberships
- Providing visitors with information and directions as they enter the property
- Knowledge of the Mohonk Preserve and Mohonk Mountain House carriage road and trail network is required. Local area knowledge helpful.
- Available to work weekends required
Desired Skills and Experience:
At Mohonk Preserve, our priority is finding the best candidate for the job. We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet all the qualifications or have a less traditional background.
- Being organized, friendly, outgoing, diplomatic, reliable, and punctual.
- Enjoys being outdoors.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to read maps and orient visitors.
- Ability to make sales transactions. Experience working with credit card machines.
- Knowledge of the Preserve’s mission, geography, and location of adjoining attractions to the Mohonk Preserve is essential.
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record, proof of insurance, ability to pass background check.
- Computer skills - ability to use email (Outlook), Microsoft Office 365 applications, remote work platforms (e.g., Teams, Zoom)
- Have a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) to ensure that all people are respected and welcomed at the Mohonk Preserve. This includes participating in ongoing education and other work the organization undertakes to develop and incorporate these principles
- Willing to work irregular hours including weekends and holidays
- Bonus skills:
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. This position is an on-site, outdoors position. Generally standard working hours, with some flexibility, to be coordinated with supervisor.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
- Direct Payroll Deposit
- Mohonk Preserve membership for duration of position
- Access to lands and some activities of Mohonk Mountain House resort
Eligibility for certain benefits is dependent upon a variety of factors including employment status.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
· May use a computer and keyboard
· Frequently works outdoors for extended periods in all weather conditions
· Standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, lifting, carrying equipment, negotiating step ladders, lifting up to 20 lbs.
· Occasional events indoors or outdoors outside standard office hours and in other locations around the Preserve
How to Apply:
Email cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references (include phone and email) by June 30 to: firstname.lastname@example.org Include “Trailhead Ranger” in subject line.
POSITIONS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The anticipated start date of this position is early July 2023.
No phone calls please
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.