Type of Job
May 2, 2023
About the job
BNRC’s Stewardship Department is seeking an individual to join its Trail Crew. This is a full-time, seasonal position (May through October) involving the construction of new hiking trails and the reconstruction/maintenance of existing trails on Berkshire Natural Resources Council properties. Other duties include hiking existing trails to clear blowdowns, assess trail maintenance needs and make repairs, and other property stewardship related tasks. The crew may also assist with community events such as volunteer workdays.
This is an opportunity to opportunity to hike to work every day, spend time outdoors in some of the most beautiful areas of the Berkshires and engage in high quality trail building projects across BNRC’s 60-mile trail system. This position is hands-on, and projects can be physically demanding.
It is important that our Trail Crew members show a commitment to quality work, a positive attitude, and professional demeanor. We seek candidates who want to work outdoors and are interested in learning about trail design and developing trail building skills and techniques. This work is often collaborative, but crew members should expect to work independently on occasion.
Qualifications. The successful candidate may not have all these qualifications so if you have some, and/or demonstrably related experience, please apply.
- Trail building experience or landscape construction experience is welcomed but not necessary to apply; the ideal candidate will have a willingness to learn, a strong work ethic, and an open mind.
- Training on specific trail construction techniques and best practices are provided by BNRC; the applicant will be an active participant in training and seek to develop skills throughout the season.
- Strong commitment to quality work, a positive attitude, and a professional demeanor.
- Must be able to hike with up to 40 pounds of gear and tools.
- Willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Willing to follow basic dress code requirements (long pants, work/hiking boots)
- Willing to travel throughout Berkshire County and work in remote locations.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required.
Compensation: Trail crew members have starting wage of $17/hour
- Option to enroll in group medical and dental coverage
- Paid holidays, paid time off pro-rated to match 6-month seasonal schedule
- 401(k) and employer match after first 6 months (applicable to returning crew members)
- Travel reimbursement
- A great team of coworkers in a welcoming office setting in Lenox, Massachusetts
- $150 reimbursable allowance for personal work gear (backpack, work boots, rain jacket, etc.)
Start date: Position starts in May but is seeking applications currently; resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Trail Crew” in the subject line.
Please note: this position requires up-to-date Covid vaccination.
BNRC is an equal opportunity employer.
BNRC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification and expression, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, status as disabled or Vietnam Era veteran or status in any group protected against discrimination by federal, state, or local law.
We welcome applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and veterans. BNRC is actively engaged in ensuring its properties are welcoming to all, and in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of its work.
Though the job described above will begin entirely or almost entirely in English, BNRC welcomes interest from bilingual candidates who can support the organization in being more inclusive in its work.