Traffic Signal and Lighting Technician Series - Kansas City District
Lee's Summit, Missouri, United States, 65101
Type of Job
36595.92 - 47455.92 /Yearly Salary
Jun 30, 2022
About the job
The position will be in Kansas City Scout and will be maintaining field network cabinets along with general oversight of contractor work.
Substitution of experience for the education requirement will be considered.
Substitution of education for the experience requirement will be considered.
The traffic signal and lighting technician performs duties related to the installation, maintenance and repair of traffic signals, roadway lighting, communications equipment, and other electronic devices. Responsibilities are performed under direct supervision.
This opening is for one of our CAREER-LADDER positions which offers the opportunity for career advancement without having to participate in the competitive selection interview process. Based on your work experience, skills, and education, you will be hired at either the entry, intermediate, or senior level of this job title. As you continue to learn, acquire new skills, and gain experience, you can be promoted to a higher-level position.
A day in the life:
- Assists on emergency calls, such as malfunctioning equipment and traffic crashes involving equipment for signals, lighting, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS), aviation and navigational lighting, and communication systems, and takes appropriate action.
- Assists in the investigation of customer service reports with regard to signal and lighting operations and other electronic/electrical traffic control devices and report of findings.
- Responds to routine utility locates requests from Missouri One Call.
- Assists in the installation, repair, and maintenance of traffic signal equipment, radio communication equipment, ITS, roadway, aviation and navigational lighting, and other electronic/electrical traffic control devices.
- Assists in the interpretation of signal circuit plans and schematics for trouble shooting problems with electronic/electrical components.
- Utilizes software to communicate with and program electronic traffic control devices and radio communication equipment.
- Assists in the installation, repair, and trouble shooting of communication devices including fiber networks, wireless devices, and radios.
- Assists in the inventory of electronic/electrical parts and supplies.
- Assists in the completion of the department's signal and lighting preventive maintenance programs.
- Maintains required records and documentation on the installation, maintenance, repair, or replacement of signals, lighting, and communication equipment.
- Performs other responsibilities as required or assigned.
What you’ll need for success:
- High School Diploma or GED/HiSET
- Completion of a formal post-secondary technical training program in one or more of the following: electrical, electronics, or networking (of at least 30 credit hours or one school year in duration), or completion of both phases of the department’s traffic signal and lighting apprenticeship program.
- Valid Class B Commercial Driver's License with no air brake restriction and interstate status (either Excepted Interstate [EI] or Non-Excepted Interstate [NI]) must be obtained within sixty days of hire.
- Successful completion of a work simulation examination and a medical-physical examination.
Special working conditions and job characteristics:
- Job requires heavy physical exertion and effort, including the ability to move materials by hand, operate hand tools, and perform stationary flagging.
- Job requires exposure to physical hazards, health and safety risks, and/or adverse or otherwise undesirable characteristics in the environment.
- Job requires exposure to working at heights requiring the use of fall protection and aerial boom equipment.
- Job may require operation of vehicles to plow snow and spread ice control materials.
Why you’ll love MoDOT:
- You’ll play a key role in maintaining the seventh largest highway system in the United States.
- You’ll receive training opportunities and a chance to further your career.
- You’ll be able to take advantage of many benefits for you and your family while providing service to others in a culturally diverse workplace. Visit our CAREERS page to explore all we have to offer.
At MoDOT, we value team players who are open-minded and work well with others to accomplish goals and fulfill our mission of safety, service, and stability. We see the growth of our team members as an investment, both in MoDOT’s future and yours. If you’re looking for diverse opportunities, challenging work and a family-friendly environment, we want to talk to you about joining our winning team.
Are you interested?
MoDOT operates on shared values and your success in our organization depends upon modeling these values. CLICK HERE to view our mission, values, and tangible results. If you embrace these values, we welcome you to apply.
For questions about this position or the status of your application, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application and ALL requested documents must be received by the closing date on the job posting.
The State of Missouri is an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.