Texas Program Director
Remote in Texas
Type of Job
Mar 8, 2023
About the job
Are you a leader with a passion for clean energy? Are you looking for a career with a growing organization where you can make a difference and have fun doing it? If so, keep reading!
Solar United Neighbors (SUN) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone. We help people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
About the Position
The Texas Program Director is responsible for leading the work of Solar United Neighbors throughout the state. The director will take over a successful state program that was originally launched in 2018. To date, we have organized 16 solar group buy programs, helped 250 Texans install more than 2 megawatts of rooftop solar and 1 megawatt of battery storage, and amassed a membership of 18,000 Texas solar enthusiasts. The position entails overseeing all aspects of the organization’s work in Texas, including solar deployment programs, policy and advocacy campaigns, community engagement efforts, low-and-moderate income solar projects, partnership development, fundraising, and staff management. The Texas Program Director is directly supported by the West Region Director and a team of cross-cutting staff that assist with technical solar expertise, communications, policy support, equity programs, fundraising, and community engagement.
Job responsibilities include:
- Deploying solar group buy programs to help homeowners install rooftop solar.
- Developing and implementing energy equity programs to expand solar access to low-and-moderate income households and underserved communities.
- Advocating for strong solar policy at all levels of government and conducting grassroots campaigns to support policy efforts.
- Bringing Texas communities together around shared interests in solar energy and other emerging clean technologies, such as battery storage and electric vehicles.
- Communicating with SUN members and the public via community meetings, webinars, blog posts, social media, phone calls and email.
- Providing technical assistance to individuals and entities interested in going solar.
- Representing SUN in stakeholder and coalition settings.
- Speaking to the media regarding SUN programs.
- Building and sustaining critical partnerships with local governments and community organizations.
- Contributing to the organization’s fundraising efforts with local foundations and donors, with assistance from the SUN development team.
- Collaborating with SUN staff and volunteers on the overall direction of the state program.
- Fostering a fun and inclusive work environment where all are welcome.
- Resident of Texas.
- Ability to work remotely, with frequent in-state travel.
- At least 5 years of experience developing programs, building relationships, and managing teams.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and trouble-shooting skills.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively, and effectively with the public, staff, and volunteers.
- Motivated, organized, and excellent communicator.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Knowledge of Texas energy issues and/or experience in relevant sectors preferred.
Why We Love SUN
- Salary range of $65,000 – $75,000 per year
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Generous paid leave policy
- 401(k) retirement account
- Professional development stipend
- Fun, remote work environment
- Flexible work hours
- Our vision and mission
How to Apply
If this sounds like a good fit, please apply on our job board!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. SUN is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Solar United Neighbors welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and experience to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and those with a non-traditional education.