Sustainability Education Associate
Type of Job
$40,000 - $45,000
Sep 19, 2022
About the job
Groundwork Hudson Valley is a 501c3 non-profit organization committed to “changing places and changing lives” in the lower Hudson Valley. Our mission is to create sustainable environmental change in urban neighborhoods through community-based partnerships that promote equity, youth leadership, and economic opportunity. Program areas include climate resilience, sustainability education, and youth leadership development. Groundwork partners with neighborhood residents, private and non-profit partners, local businesses and government officials to identify environmental improvements that will advance equitable, healthy, vibrant communities and empower the next generation of community leaders. Groundwork Hudson Valley’s nationally acclaimed youth program, the Green Team, encourages outdoor activity, environmental stewardship, youth leadership, and neighborhood restoration.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is seeking a new associate to support our dynamic Sustainability Education Program. The Sustainability Education Associate is a full time position reporting directly to the Sustainability Education Manager, supporting the Sustainability Education program which makes use of two experiential learning sites in downtown Yonkers, the Science Barge and the Saw Mill River Daylighting parks. Groundwork is seeking an experienced and dynamic educator and grower to provide energetic and engaging tours and STEM programs for K-12 school groups both in person at its experiential learning sites, and virtually and in person in the schools. The Associate will also be responsible for helping to maintain the Science Barge, in particular its hydroponic and soil-based growing systems. The Associate will assist in booking programs on the Science Barge, helping to develop sustainability education curricula, training and supervising seasonal educators, and supervising interns and youth employees/volunteers during the open-to-the-public weekend hours, spring through fall. The ideal candidate is forward thinking, resourceful and able to communicate well with a diverse mix of public and non-profit partners.
● Leading tours and STEM programs on the Science Barge, alongside seasonal assistant educators. The Science Barge programs cover hydroponic farming & sustainable food systems, renewable energy production & conservation, composting & waste management, climate science, climate change resilience, botany, food & nutrition, and water quality & river stewardship. Additional topics include energy efficient homes, energy and water conservation, carbon footprint reduction, climate safe neighborhoods, gardening, backyard habitats, homesteading.
● Delivering sequential educational programs to our partner-schools in Yonkers, and other schools in the area.
● Handling all aspects of managing reservations for group visits to the Science Barge, including responding to email and phone inquiries and scheduling program visits .
● Assisting with greenhouse and general Barge management and maintenance, including seeding, transplanting, pruning, and harvesting crops, measuring and adjusting growing system nutrients, caring for aquaponics fish, monitoring and treating plant pests and disease (no pesticides are used), and regularly cleaning greenhouse and systems, as well as managing composting systems, renewable energy and heating systems.
● Working with the Sustainability Education Manager to train and supervise a team of seasonal educators and volunteers.
● Working with the Sustainability Education Manager to develop curricula and programs, and evaluating their success.
● Working one weekend day per week during the Barge’s open-to-the-public season,
● Maintaining inventory and replenishing educational and growing materials.
● Coordinating with our Marketing/Development team on social media outreach, marketing campaigns, and fundraising.
● At least two years of experience as an educator in an informal setting, such as a museum, nature center, or farm.
● A Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, environmental education, sustainability, general education, or a related field.
● Educational or experiential knowledge of urban agriculture, renewable energy, climate change, and sustainable development is highly recommended.
● Experience in facility maintenance, such as greenhouses or renewable energy systems (wind and solar).
● Demonstrated organizational skills along with strong oral and written communication skills.
● A self-starter, working well independently as well as comfortable accepting supervision.
● Has a passion for the guiding values and mission of Groundwork, including a commitment to environmental equity and justice.
● Basic computer skills:
● Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. MS Publisher is a plus.
● Able to lift 30 pounds.
● Fluency in Spanish is highly preferred.
● A valid driver’s license, a plus.
● Local to South Yonkers, a plus.
The salary range for this position is $40,000 - $45,000. Groundwork offers a generous benefits package for employees, including participation in our health insurance plan, 11 paid holidays per year, 15 paid vacation days per year, 7 paid sick days per year, and additional paid comp-time at the discretion of the Executive Director. We also offer a Simple IRA and access to TransitChek pretax transportation benefits.
How to Apply
Send a thoughtful cover letter and resume that speaks to how your experience and skill-set meet the qualifications for this position to email@example.com, with subject header Sustainability Education Associate.
Groundwork Hudson Valley is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate in any employer/employee relations based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable discrimination laws. City of Yonkers residents are strongly encouraged to apply.