SF Bay Area, Boston, or Remote from CA, MA, NY, NJ, PA, OR, WA, or IL
Type of Job
Apr 22, 2022
About the job
About Activate Global
Activate empowers scientists to reinvent our world and address climate change by bringing their research to market. We partner with leading funders and research institutions to offer the Activate Fellowship, providing the funding, technical support, networking, community, and time that scientists need at the outset of their entrepreneurial journey.
Activate Fellows have launched 74 new companies since 2015. These companies have raised more than $537M in follow-on funding, created more than 400 U.S.-based high-tech jobs, reached scientific breakthroughs, and defined new market categories. Activate supports fellows in Berkeley, CA; Cambridge, MA; New York, NY; and across the U.S. through Activate Anywhere.
Activate exists to create a better future, for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our business, including our operations, our fellowship, our partnerships, and our brand.
Activate is seeking six superstar Summer Interns to join the team and work with our Fellowship, Partnerships, and Marketing teams. These positions will focus on supporting the growth and scale of the Activate Fellowship to provide more science entrepreneurs the opportunity to change the world with their research.
The Summer Interns will work directly with the Fellowship, Partnerships, and Marketing teams to support recruitment of the next cohort of Activate Fellows to ensure we reach the greatest pool of potential applicants; grow awareness about our program and impact among a wide range of potential allies, stakeholders, and funders; expand Activate’s corporate, investor, and ecosystem network in the climate space; support the evaluation and improvement of the fellowship selection process; and use research and analysis to support the continual improvement of Activate’s education offering.
I. Recruitment Interns (two) will support fellow recruitment by:
- Supporting the recruitment strategy to systematically engage key contacts across higher education institutions, research labs, entrepreneurial incubators and accelerators, and other partners to disseminate information about the Activate Fellowship to potential applicants.
- Supporting efforts to increase the diversity of the fellow applicant pool, including reaching and recruiting applicants from underrepresented communities.
- Driving outreach to policy, business, and technology experts working in science innovation.
- Working closely with the fellowship, partnerships, and marketing teams to execute the recruitment strategy and timeline.
- Use project and data management tools to actively maintain recruitment data streams, and report out to the team on progress.
II. The Marketing Intern will support marketing & communications campaigns by:
- Supporting the marketing strategy to grow awareness about our program and impact among a wide range of potential allies, stakeholders, and funders.
- Providing website analytics support for marketing and other functional groups within Activate.
- Developing data visualizations across our various outreach platforms (e.g., MailChimp, website) and social media channels.
III. The Partnerships Intern will grow Activate’s climate network by:
- Engaging with climate and energy industry ecosystem stakeholders to learn their investment interests.
- Inputting and managing outreach leads across software platforms including Asana, AirTable, and other data tools.
- Summarizing, reporting, and recommending new opportunities to the Partnerships Team and supporting next steps.
- Support creation of materials and events for the Activate ecosystem and industry partners.
IV. The Fellowship Intern will improve Activate Fellow selection process by:
- Helping to organize and analyze information related to the Activate Fellow selection process.
- Conducting data analytics and developing data visualizations from our Activate Fellowship selection process, including data management to support the selection of Cohort 2023.
- Researching and helping to build Activate’s network of expert technical reviewers.
V. The Education Intern will improve Activate’s education offering by:
- Managing Activate’s national education data systems and developing data visualization for Fellowship Team analysis.
- Researching online education platforms and doing cost analysis of different features.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of current education contract providers to support comparison evaluation across providers.
- Researching education contract providers, including cost analysis, and developing a database of potential contractors.
- Updating data on education services provider use and developing a system for ongoing data of education service use.
The Ideal Candidates
- Have top-notch organizational skills and are highly detail-oriented.
- Can multitask and manage several complex projects at once using project management software such as Asana.
- Are savvy investigators able to track down hard-to-find information.
- Are comfortable with data management, including data visualization.
- Are team players able to accomplish tasks independently.
- Have a strong understanding of the U.S. academic system, particularly as it relates to research, graduate, and Ph.D. programs.
- Are interested in innovation, clean energy, manufacturing or advanced electronics sectors (or are willing to learn).
- Believe the world's scientific and entrepreneurial talent should be focused on more serious pursuits than dog-walking apps.
- Understand that innovation starts with people, not ideas.
About the Role
These positions are full-time (40 hours), paid, and U.S.-based. The preferred start date is June 6, 2022, with an end date of August 12, 2022. Preferably, candidates will be based in the Bay Area, CA, Boston, MA, or New York, New York, and understand local academic and entrepreneurial ecosystems. However, candidates may work remotely from one of Activate's operating states (CA, MA, NY, NJ, PA, OR, WA, or IL). There is an opportunity for the internship to continue half-time (20 hours) into the fall months. These positions will report to staff within the Fellowship, Partnerships, and Marketing teams.
Apply for One of These Positions
To apply, please click on the link for the position you are most interested in. (If you are interested in more than one position, please note that in your cover letter.)
Activate’s culture is built around the following values:
- We put people first through mutual support, respect, and continuous improvement
- We live in trust, acting with authenticity, integrity, and a presumption of good intention
- We appreciate experimentation, using data to improve, and accepting that failure and discomfort are necessary for growth
- We create value through connection and building community
- We are guided by intention and are purpose-driven to improve society
Activate Global, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.