Summer Camp Educator
New Paltz, NY
Type of Job
Stipends vary by position and length of commitment.
Jan 17, 2023
About the job
Join the Mohonk Preserve Team!
Summer Camp Educators – Varied Positions
About Mohonk Preserve:
Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, Mohonk Preserve is New York’s largest nonprofit nature preserve. Our mission is to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. We manage over 8,000 acres of mountain cliffs, forests, fields and streams through four integrated programs – Conservation, Education, Stewardship, and Visitor Experience – and welcome over 300,000 members and visitors each year who come to hike, run, rock climb, boulder, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe and enjoy and experience nature.
Based in a vibrant university community, Mohonk Preserve offers a great working environment in one of New York’s greenest counties, with all-season recreation, access to Preserve lands, a dynamic, committed team of conservation professionals and long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education. The Preserve is also the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission. Successful candidates will be equity-minded and committed to furthering our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Justice (DEIJ) goals.
About the Position:
We have exceptional Environmental Education programs for all ages including in-school programs; field studies; Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM); public and teen programs and more. We are seeking 2-3 individuals who love the outdoors and enjoy sharing nature with children. Organizational and positive interpersonal skills are a must. These non-exempt positions are seasonal and report to the Director of Education.
· Mountainside Adventures: Lead Educator stipend of $3,560; Assisting Educator stipend of $2,960, for two 2-week sessions (July 10-21 and July 31-August 11).
· Camp Peregrine: Assisting Educator stipend of $970/week (up to 6 one-week sessions, flexible weeks).
· Ensuring safety of campers at all times
· Serving as role model for Mohonk Preserve’s stewardship ethics and philosophy of environmental education
· Planning and co-leading 1 or more sessions of summer camp
· Communicating with parents and campers as needed
· Attending and participating in camp-related trainings
· Purchasing supplies within the approved budget
· Communicating with parents and staff about changes to the schedule
· Coordinating weather and other related location changes as needed
· Developing and leading daily camp activities and hikes
· Mountainside Adventures sessions include one overnight sleepout under the stars, weather permitting
Desired Skills and Experience:
At Mohonk Preserve, our priority is finding the best candidate for the job. We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet all the qualifications or have a less traditional background.
· Bachelor’s degree in Education, natural sciences or related OR equivalent combination of education and experience
· Experience teaching/working with children outdoors
· Ability to plan, and implement fun, educational hikes and activities
· Strong organizational skills
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills including comfort communicating with parents and other staff
· Driver’s license and vehicle required
· Proficient computer skills - Microsoft Office 365 applications, remote work platforms (e.g., Teams, Zoom)
· Have a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice to ensure that all people are respected and welcomed at Mohonk Preserve. This includes participating in ongoing education and other work the organization undertakes to develop and incorporate these principles
o Bilingual background (Spanish/English)
Mohonk Preserve’s main offices are located at our Visitor Center in Gardiner, NY. Working hours to be coordinated with supervisor.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is of the utmost importance. Mohonk Preserve requires all staff either to provide proof of being fully vaccinated or, if they cannot provide such proof for any reason, to wear a mask per CDC guidelines: CDC Mask Guidance. All employees are expected to adhere to required Mohonk Preserve COVID-19 protocols.
Mohonk Preserve is a smoke-free campus.
· Must be able to hike at least 5 miles with some elevation gain while carrying 20 pounds
· Frequently works outdoors
· May require standing, walking, hiking, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, carrying equipment
How to Apply:
Resumes will be accepted with letter of interest and 3 professional references for contact. Applications must be received by Feb. 1, 2023. Email to: email@example.com
Include in subject line “Summer Camp Educator”.
The anticipated start date of these positions is July 2023.
No phone calls please
More information about Mohonk Preserve can be found at https://www.mohonkpreserve.org/