Type of Job
Aug 30, 2022
About the job
You are a critical thinker who brings order to chaos, are passionate about the climate justice movement and would take pride in enabling one of the movement’s most effective campaigners to continue winning game-changing victories for the climate movement. You thrive working behind the scenes, yet are comfortable speaking up in large or high-stakes meetings. You are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion; you are excited by the idea of being an ally to a person with a disability and helping to directly address myriad forms of ableism.
About The Role
The Sunrise Project is hiring for a full-time Strategic Assistant position. This role will be assisting Senior Strategist Casey Harrell and is housed within the Investor Program. Casey has worked at The Sunrise Project since 2017 and has been integral to launching Global campaigns such as BlackRock’s Big Problem and Vanguard S.O.S. Since 2019, Casey has been living with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), or Lou Gehrigs’ disease. This Strategic Assistant position combines the role of an Executive Assistant with light personal assistant duties with the role of “co-conspirator” with various strategic projects and campaigns.
- Provide necessary accommodations to enhance Casey’s participation in meetings, which can include transcribing Casey’s thoughts, verbally repeating for clarity, or understanding Casey’s point of view and acting as a proxy for him if he is not able to attend.
- Support Casey in planning and execution on the bigger picture of his work and the health measures needed to enhance his capacity to succeed.
- Triage and prioritise requests from different campaign partners, stakeholders, and team members.
*Due to working full-time while living with a neuromuscular disease, a few job responsibilities will fall outside of typical assistant duties. Applicants do not need to have a medical background to perform these responsibilities.
Required Skills, knowledge and experience
- At least two years of experience in a similar or related role. Unpaid, grassroots, or lived experience qualify.
- Deep patience and high level of emotional intelligence needed to work with someone facing a degenerative diagnosis.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Comfortable working inside a family household where children are present in the home.
- You must have full working rights for the US. The Sunrise Project is unable to sponsor applicants for employment visas.
- Able to be physically present during normal business hours, with occasional early or late days to accommodate international meetings or campaign crunch times;
- Employment background checks may be/are required.
- COVID-19 vaccinations may apply in accordance with local legislation and/or Sunrise policy
How Sunrise supports its staff
The Sunrise Project U.S. is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- Role-specific: Relocation expense reimbursement of up to $3-$5k (depending on distance)
- 401(k) & employer match
- 100% employer paid health, vision and dental coverage
- Five weeks of vacation leave
Learn More & How to Apply
Read the full role description and learn how to apply here. Application Deadline: 11:59pm, 2nd Oct 2022 PDT