Type of Job
Feb 16, 2022
About the job
JOB TITLE: STEWARDSHIP TECHNICIAN
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Jesse Hoffman, Preserve Steward & Botanist
LOCATION: Albany, NY
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT: April 18 – October 28, 2022
COMPENSATION: $15.00/hr, 37.5 hours per week
Summary of Position:
The Stewardship Technician will participate in various preserve management activities related to conservation, restoration, and visitor experience throughout the 3350+ acre Albany Pine Bush Preserve.
Primary duties will include: Native seed collection, invasive species removal, trails work, and boundary posting/maintenance. Other potential activities include: facility/equipment maintenance, tree planting, erosion control, GPS/GIS mapping, trash removal, firebreak prep, and data entry. Once qualified, stewardship technicians will assist in prescribed fire operations, which include: day of burn prep, ignition, control, suppression, and mop-up.
• Bachelor's degree in natural resource management or equivalent experience
• Experience and/or interest in land management, preserve management, conservation, restoration and prescribed burning
• Ability to operate various types of tools and equipment, such as: power and hand tools, brush cutters, ATVs, farm tractors, and skid steers in a safe and efficient manner
• Experience operating chainsaws, official training/certification is highly desirable
• Willingness to receive herbicide applicator training and to apply herbicides
• Willingness to receive prescribed burning training and participate in prescribed burning;
• Ability and willingness to perform difficult physical work for extended and irregular periods, under adverse conditions and in various extremes of weather
• Excellent plant identification skills
• Excellent physical conditioning and the ability to complete the arduous level work capacity test for prescribed burning wildland fire operations (https://www.fs.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_wysiwyg/wct_brochure_2002_0.pdf)
• Ability to use maps, GPS, GIS, and aerial photos; ability to orient oneself in the field
• Valid state or international driver’s license, experience with towing trailers is a plus
• Ability and willingness to work occasional weekends
• Experience with computers and ArcMap GIS software
• Willingness to perform a variety of tasks, both in the office and in the field
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work in both group settings, and independently
• Innovative critical thinking skills, ability to problem solve in the field
• Ability to follow instructions from supervisors and colleagues
• Ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing
• First aid/CPR training and certification is desirable
• Ability to remain flexible with fluctuating COVID-19 prevention protocols such as daily sanitization of shared equipment, masking, etc.
March 18, 2022
Please e-mail cover letter, résumé, and 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please put: STEWTECH 2021 in the subject line
APBPC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
APBPC does not discriminate in its employment opportunities or practices on the basis of an individual’s actual or perceived race, color, sex, national origin, ethnicity, hairstyle and hair texture, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health decisions, gender identity, transgender status, genetic information/predisposition or carrier status, age, religion, creed, domestic violence victim status, and any other classification protected by federal, state or local law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of APBPC for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.