Stewardship Field Assistant
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Type of Job
$21.00/hr, housing available
Mar 27, 2023
About the job
What We Can Achieve Together:
The Stewardship Field Assistant assists with a variety of stewardship and management duties on Conservancy preserves on Martha’s Vineyard. Duties include assisting with legal compliance monitoring, biological monitoring, invasive species control, ecological restoration, research, updating management plans, using and maintaining equipment (hand tools, chain saws, tractor), safely applying herbicide, enforcing preserve policies, monitoring visitor use, performing trail, boundary, and sign maintenance, and maintaining cooperative relationships with stakeholders (preserve neighbors, agency partners, the general public and partner organizations).
We’re Looking for You:
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in being a part of a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
The ideal candidate should have experience identifying plant and animal species and the ability to drive oneself independently. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by working in a key, hands-on role! Specific responsibilities include:
· Coordinate legal compliance monitoring and drafts compliance reports; enters monitoring data; works with Stewardship Manager to notify parties in the event of a violation and on volunteer implemented activities.
· Work with stewardship staff and volunteers to perform preserve maintenance tasks (maintain kiosks and signs, maintain trails, mark boundaries, control invasive species using hand tools and herbicides).
· Interact with preserve visitors by providing information about the preserves, promoting the work of the Conservancy, answering questions, and enforcing preserve policies.
· Research and acquire ecological and legal information pertinent to the management of TNC preserves and conservation easements; assists with updating preserve management plans.
· Manage preserve challenges which may include dumping, trespassing, unauthorized vehicular use, camping, etc.
· Assist stewardship staff with ecological monitoring, including participation in monitoring rare plant and animal populations.
· Assist with grassland and sandplain grassland management and restoration (seeding, mechanical treatment, tilling, mowing on a tractor, etc.).
· Assist with maintenance of basic equipment such as hand and power tools, chainsaws, brush saws, etc.
· May assist Stewardship Manager with oversight of the Hoft Farm in terms of ensuring a safe and productive environment for residents.
· May travel to Cape Cod and/or Nantucket to perform duties as needed.
· Assists with other projects as needed.
What You’ll Bring:
· High school diploma and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management or equivalent combination.
· Experience identifying plant and animal species.
· Experience with mobile technology (tablets or smartphones) and interpreting mapped information.
· Requires ability to work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
· Requires physical exertion and/or muscular strain, long hours in isolated settings, and presents frequent possibility of injury.
· Requires valid driver’s license.
· Requires either a current MA Applicator License (Core) or willingness to take the exam required to obtain a Core license.
Apply online at www.nature.org/careers by 11:59 PM EST 4/19/23. Job #53184