Staff Attorney, California Regional
San Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA
Type of Job
Salary depends on experience and location.
Apr 22, 2021
About the job
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Chicago, Honolulu, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice’s California Regional Office was the first of the now fifteen Earthjustice offices. With offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Sacramento, the California Regional Office covers almost all areas of our work. We fight for the rights of all Californians to a healthy environment. We fight to protect the magnificent natural spaces and wildlife found only in California. And, we fight to transition California to a zero-emissions future fueled by clean, fossil-free energy. Earthjustice’s work in California is particularly important given California is both a health and climate leader and yet is still one of the largest producers of oil, home to some of the worst air in the country, contains and faces some of the most challenging water issues, and is seeing its unique biodiversity face unprecedented threats. Learn more about the California Regional Office and its work at - https://earthjustice.org/about/offices/california.
Earthjustice is seeking to fill a staff attorney position in the California Regional Office. The staff attorney can be housed in either the San Francisco or Los Angeles office. For this position, the attorney selected will generally focus on litigation and other advocacy in our efforts to protect the invaluable natural resources of California; remove our dependence on fossil fuels, with a particular focus on oil and gas; and work with partners and frontline communities to ensure all have a right to clean air, clean water, and healthy lives and ecosystems, with a particular focus on pesticides and other chemical pollution. The staff attorney will work closely with our existing team of attorneys, a Research and Policy Analyst, policy advocates in Sacramento, a regional communications strategist, and a professional support team, in addition to other dedicated staff from other parts of the organization. Additionally, staff attorneys are expected to help nurture the development of early career attorneys and other staff. Staff attorneys oversee the work of more junior staff in connection with their work on particular projects, and may be asked to serve as the formal supervisor for one or more members of the junior staff.
- Coordinate the development and execution of legal advocacy strategies to support program goals in collaboration with attorneys, policy staff and communications staff as appropriate.
- Manage new and existing cases from start to finish, performing all aspects of litigation.
- Conduct factual investigations and develop legal theories for possible advocacy or litigation advancing the goals of our partners and clients.
- Supervise and mentor the work of Associate Attorneys, Policy Advocates, Research Analysts, Litigation Assistants, and Law Clerks individually and as part of litigation teams.
- Manage relationships with co-counsel, clients, and coalition partners.
- Collaborate with colleagues and coalition partners as well as cultivate new allies in support of program goals.
- Serve as spokesperson for client partners and for Earthjustice.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications, Development, and Policy and Legislation.
- Integrate communications and legislative advocacy into litigation and other legal strategies.
- Join other staff in long-term planning, strategy development, goal-setting, and work plan management that advances a collective vision for future California Regional Office work.
- Participate as an active member of a learning and mentorship culture, and engage with colleagues in manner that is respectful, professional, and supportive.
- Participate actively in organizational and office-specific efforts to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace, and personally engage with colleagues, clients, and partners in a manner that is consistent with those efforts.
- Create or identify strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Applicants must be law school graduates, who are admitted or willing to apply for admission to the California bar.
- At least 8 years of litigation and/or legal experience, including top-notch legal research, writing and oral advocacy skills.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, environmental and administrative law is preferred.
- Superb research, analysis, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Initiative, good judgment, and a strong work ethic.
- Strong skills in communicating litigation and advocacy goals and messages to the media is preferred.
- Proficient at working with technical issues and experts.
- Ready and able to develop and conduct complex litigation and advocacy from day one, independently if necessary, to lead teams, and to work collaboratively with colleagues and partner organizations.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed for case work, court appearances, presentations, staff meetings, and conferences.
- Willingness to help the office recruit, hire, develop, and retain a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Willingness and ability to effectively supervise and mentor early career staff in connection with litigation and advocacy projects, and to help foster an inclusive and nurturing work environment.
- Formal management experience is preferred.
- A commitment to public interest work and a passion for Earthjustice’s mission.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Commitment to help create a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce and culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
For litigators and advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, Staff Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet. Learn more about our Staff Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/staff-attorney
Salary depends on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $154,900+
Salary range in Los Angeles, CA: $147,155+
Interested applicants should submit the following via Jobvite:
- Cover letter that addresses (1) why you are drawn to this position and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues and (3) management experience if any.
- Writing sample that reflects your own legal analysis and writing (i.e., not jointly written with or edited by other people).
- Three professional references.
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=ok04efwm&s=GreenLatinos
Please reach out to if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.