Staff Accountant (Hybrid)
Type of Job
Aug 23, 2022
About the job
About the Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment
For 30 years, the Rose Foundation has supported grassroots initiatives that inspire community action to protect the environment, community health, and people’s rights. Our community-based grantmaking approach has earned national recognition for building grassroots power for conservation and social justice causes, and our New Voices Are Rising youth leadership program trains Bay Area high school students to step forward as the next generation of environmental justice leaders.
The Staff Accountant works with the Director of Finance and Administration to promote the overarching financial health of the foundation. Supervised by the Director of Finance and Administration, they are responsible for most of the day-to-day accounting responsibilities. They will also assist in completing higher level accounting assignments, and work to enhance the Rose Foundation’s backend efficiency and effectiveness. The Staff Accountant performs various professional accounting duties, including maintenance and analysis of accounting records, preparation of accounting schedules, reports and financial statements, preparation of journal entries and reconciliation of ledger accounts, and more. They ensure compliance with GAAP and organizational policies, procedures, and external agreements. This position provides the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the financial processes of a community foundation.
Who Should Apply
You are a capable accounting professional with over three years of relevant experience in the nonprofit sector. You are comfortable managing backbone financial and accounting functions. You are detail-oriented, highly organized, and possess capable interpersonal, communication, and computer skills. You care deeply about the planet, people, social justice, and community equity. You enjoy playing a crucial role in a small, highly collaborative team, but are also comfortable working independently and taking ownership of your projects. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to advance their career in finance and operations in a community foundation setting.
We value a diverse team whose lived experiences inform their relationship to social justice and community equity work. We encourage BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) folks to apply, as well as candidates who identify as women, femme, non-binary, or LGBTQ+. We encourage candidates who are comfortable conversing in Spanish, or another language commonly spoken in California communities of color, to apply.
Roles and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Staff Accountant include, but are not limited to, the following:
Accounting Activities (70%)
- Support the Director of Finance and Administration in preparing annual organizational budgets, audits, and form 990 schedules.
- Support the creation of W-2s, 1099s, and other forms with IRS, State and County agencies
- Support the preparation of financial statements and narrative to be used at quarterly Finance Committee and Board of Directors meetings.
- Perform financial quarterly close tasks, including reconciliations, accrual adjustments, and preparation of financial statements.
- Monitor the general ledger, including but not limited to A/R and A/P.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts as assigned, including revenue, prepaid, receivables, property and equipment, and liability accounts.
- Manage and monitor company credit card use and reconcile credit card statements, including preparing monthly expense reports in excel and collecting all receipts.
- Process cash receipts, including entering deposits into accounting system and updating cash flow reports.
- Process vendor invoices, including coding, data entry, and check generation.
- Process income from various donation sources and enter records into accounting software.
- Maintain documentation for timely invoicing for government grants.
Finance and Accounting Strategy and Policies (15%)
- Play a key role in the Finance Department’s overarching efforts to support the strategic goals of the foundation and ensure our ongoing financial health.
- Support the Director of Finance and Administration in ensuring accurate preparation, maintenance, and organization of financial records for all internal and external purposes.
- Maintain manuals on foundation accounting and finance processes.
Human Resources and Administrative Support (10%)
- Process semi-monthly payroll via Paychex, and record journal entries in accounting software.
- Maintain vacation and sick accruals for staff.
- Assist with annual Worker’s Compensation Audit.
- With the Director of Finance and Administration, train and remind staff on GAAP principles and Rose Foundation’s financial policies.
- Provide backup for Finance and Operations staff, including processing checks and making deposits as needed.
Participate in and Strengthen Organizational Initiatives (5%)
- Support all-hands-on-deck projects, like our Film Fest and Grantee Convening.
- Plan, lead, and/or contribute to activities that develop our team as a whole.
- Promote the organizational mission, and join in the stewardship of organizational well-being.
- Minimum three years of experience in nonprofit or foundation accounting.
- Two- or four-year college degree in Accounting or Finance, or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency with accounting software (AccountEdge preferred), MS Office Suite, CRM (Salesforce preferred), and online payroll platforms.
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail, and ability to work under multiple priorities and deadlines with a collaborative problem-solving approach.
- Strong analytical and financial management skills, and an orientation toward proactive problem solving with a hands-on approach.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to work effectively across departments in a diverse workplace.
- Customer service mindset: clear, responsive, patient, and engaging with colleagues and constituents.
- Handles confidential information with complete discretion.
- Commitment to environmental conservation, environmental justice, social equity, and building a strong grassroots activist base.
- Be willing to occasionally work some evenings and weekends; able to work at a standard desk for periods of 2 hours or more and lift up to 10-15 pounds
Salary, Hours, and Benefits
The Staff Accountant is a full-time, exempt, at-will position. Starting pay is in the range of $60,000-$70,000 annual salary depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits include fully paid platinum-level health insurance (medical/dental/vision) for employee and dependents; sick leave which exceeds California standards; generous vacation and paid holidays; Flexible Spending Accounts; and 401k with employer contribution and match; plus, sabbatical and professional development opportunities. General hours are 9:30am-5:30pm, Monday through Friday, but occasional evening or weekend hours may be required.
During the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the Rose staff is partially remote, with the option of working from the office if fully vaccinated against covid. This role will require some in-office activities, with regular days at the Rose office. We continue to monitor local and national public health guidelines and update our office/work protocols accordingly. The Rose Foundation will work with the hired candidate to ensure proper equipment setup and connectivity. Post-pandemic, we continue to envision a hybrid work environment dependent on individual roles and responsibilities.
Our office is in a commuter-friendly location five blocks from Lake Merritt BART; located near Jack London Amtrak, AC Transit including the 72R, 12, and Broadway Free Shuttle, and Oakland’s network of bike lanes.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed as received. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible – please apply early at: https://rosefoundation.applytojob.com/apply/MQRgenz0Wh/Staff-Accountant
The Rose Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.