Sr. Policy Strategist, Climate & Energy
Oakland, CA/Washington D.C. area
Type of Job
Jun 24, 2022
About the job
Organization: Sunstone Strategies.org
Job Title: Senior Policy Strategist, Climate & Energy
Reports to: Founder & CEO, Sage Welch
Location: Remote, Washington, D.C. / East Coast preferred
To Apply: Please follow instructions at the end of this job description.
Who We Are
Sunstone Strategies is a mission-driven communications and public affairs firm focused on equitable solutions to the climate crisis. We are policy experts and campaigners who specialize in public relations and strategic communications.Sunstone develops and leads state and federal communications campaigns to phase out the nation's largest sources of fossil fuel pollution. We offer issue advocacy, campaign strategy and execution, public relations and digital communications to unite and give voice to strong and diverse coalitions
.About the Role
We’re looking for an exceedingly competent, climate policy-obsessed addition to our team who will pull from communications, PR and advocacy experience to lead our D.C., Mid-Atlantic, and East Coast policy campaigns, with an emphasis on transportation policy. This is a fantastic opportunity to engage your skills and leadership managing campaigns on behalf of diverse coalitions and stakeholders to secure climate policy advancement.The ideal candidate has an understanding of federal and state climate policy politics, including clean transportation policy, and knows how to design and lead communications strategies for social change - with a driving passion for undoing the social license of the fossil fuel industry. Our issue areas include: the transition to 100% clean energy, zero-emission cars and trucks, and pollution-free buildings.The role will oversee and be supported by communications, digital and design strategists, all of whom work remotely.
● Campaign management: Serve as lead on multiple projects/campaigns; advise, develop andexecute communications plans and strategies, with an emphasis on clean transportation policies.
● Staff management: Manage a team of strategists, designers, policy fellows, and interns; leadcommunications with staff and management teams.
● Coalition leadership: Lead coalition communications; Find alignment on issues and workdiplomatically between many parties; Embed self with partners to provide strategic guidance oncommunications tactics and execution.
● Media relations and outreach: Develop and maintain media lists; build and foster relationshipswith editors, reporters and other media stakeholders; successfully pitch stories and place op-eds;track and analyze media coverage weekly.
● Digital communications: Work in partnership with digital and design specialists to execute onlinecommunications campaigns; Oversee production of content including short animations, videos, memes and shareable online assets; Oversee and direct online and print media budgets and ad buys.
● Writing and editing: Draft and edit content for collaterals including press releases, media advisories, talking points, op-eds, LTEs, fact sheets, websites, social properties, etc.
Who You Are
The incoming Senior Policy Strategist, Climate & Energy is both aligned with Sunstone’s comprehensive body of work, and deeply compelled to uphold its mission.We are looking for someone with strong campaigning, communications and media experience, combined with climate and energy policy expertise. This person has proven skills to coordinate, lead and execute work within diverse coalitions. They are clear thinkers, with an ability to thrive in an extremely fast-paced environment.The Senior Policy Strategist, Climate & Energy is ready to join a deeply committed, seasoned and close-knit team that holds a legacy of success developing and leading campaigns that shape and pass the nation’s most impactful climate policies.The successful candidate is creative, humble, a perpetual learner, and mentor within the organization, and among our varied stakeholder communities.
Core and Preferred Qualifications
● 7+ years of focused work in communications, public relations or campaigning with increasing responsibility in a role related to climate change.
● 2+ years experience successfully managing and leading a diverse staff.
● Prior experience and expertise in policies related to the climate and energy sectors is a must.
● Expertise in and leading communications for entrenched and new climate coalitions.
● Expertise working with media and in political landscapes related to climate change.
● Mastery in authentic leadership and diplomacy while elevating the views of diverse communitiesand working across lines of race, class, gender and geography and an analysis of how climate change and energy-related issues intersect with historically oppressed and marginalized communities.
● Ability to analyze complex policy issues and communicate them in a compelling, easy-to-digest manner for diverse audiences to encourage and drive coalition support.
● Ability to learn on the job, meet strict deadlines, juggle many competing priorities and work well under pressure.
● Openness to giving and receiving direct, compassionate feedback.
● Highly reliable, organized and self-motivated.
● Working knowledge of clean transportation policies is preferred.
● High level of emotional intelligence and self-awareness, with ability to engage empathetically.
● High level of cultural intelligence and ability to manage conflict.
● 2+ years of professional experience advancing equal justice climate initiatives.
● Familiarity and ability to manage intersectionality in the workplace.
Why Choose Sunstone?
While we work on the edge of what most think is impossible, we take care of ourselves and one another. By working with Sunstone, you are engaging our team and organizational expertise as a whole. We hold a highly effective and distinctive work practice, that is diligent and one that equitably centers care.
Our Commitment to Racial Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Climate Justice
Sunstone Strategies is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to transparent and equitable recruitment, hiring and promotion processes that foster inclusion and belonging. The climate movement has long suffered from, and been less effective, due the absence of partnership with impacted communities and racial and social justice movements.We believe that diversity in our team is not just a value but brings different lived experience and perspective that is essential to solving the climate crisis. We strongly encourage applicants from communities that have been underrepresented in this space to apply for this position. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process, please email Marie Gunter at email@example.com.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with an annual salary between $110,000 - $135,000+, and a strong benefits package, including year-end bonus, 100% employee health, vision and dental coverage, 3 weeks PTO, 15 paid holidays, 15 days of personal leave and a guaranteed 5% 401k contribution after 3 months of continual employment.
To apply or nominate a candidate, please send a resume and cover letter in a combined PDF or Microsoft Word file titled, “last_name_first_name_ Senior Policy Strategist, Climate & Energy.pdf” to:
Marie Gunter, Deputy Director (HR Resources, Operations, Finance and Administration)
This position is open until filled, with an initial application deadline of 5PM PST on August 1, 2022. Candidate review and phone screens begin immediately, to be conducted throughout the search period.
● Phone interview with hiring manager
● Two panel interviews via Zoom
● Reference Checks