Sr. Energy Engineer - Decarbonization
Type of Job
Aug 17, 2022
About the job
Steven Winter Associates, Inc. (SWA) provides research, consulting, and advisory services to improve commercial, residential, and multifamily built environments for private and public-sector clients. We specialize in energy, sustainability, and accessibility consulting as well as certification, research & development, and compliance services. We are a dynamic employee-owned company poised for growth across the multifamily and commercial sectors across the Northeast and beyond. Our team of professionals has led the way since 1972 in the development of best practices to achieve high performance buildings.
For further information on Steven Winter Associates, please visit www.swinter.com.
About the Role:
SWA is on the search for a Sr. Energy Engineer – Decarbonization for our expanding D.C. office. Candidate will display a strong passion for improving the built environment and be part of our Building Operations, Decarbonization, and Efficiency (BODE) group, which provides commissioning, energy auditing, and retrofit implementation services and policy development for multifamily, commercial, institutional, cultural/art center and community buildings in D.C. area and beyond.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to complete the following tasks with the technical and interpersonal skills outlined below that will help them excel at SWA.
How to Apply:
- To be considered for this position, candidates must submit a cover letter with their application.
- We support our employees to focus on our strengths to drive engagement. If you have 75% of the required skills and experience with a willingness to learn, we encourage you to apply and share more about yourself in your cover letter.
- Steven Winter Associates is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with our commitment, SWA will take the steps to assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations.
**The job title for this position will be a Senior Building Systems Engineer.
- Perform project work for:Benchmarking, energy auditing, and retro-commissioning for existing buildings.
Commissioning projects for new construction and existing building retrofits.
Decarbonization feasibility studies and retrofit implementation services for existing buildings.
- Manage complex projects (financial, scope, client relationships) across the BODE services outlined above.
- Lead communication with building owners, developers, architects, engineers, and contractors.
- Train entry and mid-level staff members.
- Develop proposals and pricing for complex projects and scopes of work.Understand the business of top clients in anticipation of future opportunities.
Develop proposals and pricing for complex projects and scopes of work.
Work with residential and commercial sustainability teams to develop new business for long term energy, carbon, and water master planning and implementation for campuses.
- Manage staff:Effectively communicate performance feedback: ensure staff are progressing on training plans; Hold staff responsible for timeliness of submissions and enforce company policies and processes.
Gather feedback from others throughout the team who also work with your direct reports.
Work with employees to outline career paths and professional development opportunities including connecting them to the appropriate internal experts.?
Empower staff to do great work.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities will likely change, but changes to the role will be discussed as they are desired/needed.
SWA encourages professional growth and development and the BODE team offers opportunities to further explore other service offerings.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering.
- 5+ years relevant and consecutive experience.Work relevant to this position must include experience with HVAC systems in large multifamily or or commercial buildings.
- Experience conducting field inspections related to mechanical, electrical and plumbing equipment.
- Understand common HVAC systems and engineering high-performance alternatives.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel with proficiency in other MS Office Suite programs.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of energy audits, retro-commissioning and retrofit services.
- Experience managing small to medium size projects.
- Utility billing analysis and energy savings spreadsheet calculations.
- Energy Code and / or ASHRAE standards.
- Mid-Atlantic regional laws related to energy and climate ( Washington, D.C. Clean Air and Energy Act of 2008, Clean Energy D.C. Omnibus Act of 2018, Montgomery County Bill 16-21, Maryland SB 0528).
- Green Bank financing requirements for the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Ability to communicate novel or complex concepts and related facts in a clear, concise, manner in any format (e.g., written, oral, presentation) to a variety of stakeholders.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to prioritize critical tasks and deliverables.
- Comfortable speaking up to clarify, correct or add new ideas.
- Collaborative with strong focus on teamwork.
- Excellent work ethic.
- Passionate about optimizing MEP systems and improving the built environment.
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and initiatives and move them forward to completion.
- Desire to love what you do.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be primarily based in the office, performing office-based tasks, using computer-based software. The employee is frequently required to walk; Use hands to type, handle or feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk and / or hear.
When in the field, the employee must frequently lift or move objects up to 20 lbs. Employee must be able to climb stairs and endure typical construction site conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
Travel to NYC office for the day / overnight on a quarterly to monthly basis. Additional occasional overnight travel may be required (less than 10%). Frequent local field visits in the D.C. metro area will be necessary (approximately 30-60%). A valid license is required.
SWA’s offices support a hybrid work environment. We work with our employees to find a balance that works for the employee, the team and the firm depending on the job requirements. The majority of the duties will be performed in an office/home office environment. The remainder of the duties will be performed in the field which will involve trips to projects sites for observation and training.
Performance will be evaluated against this job description, competencies for this level, and mutually agreed goals.
SWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer - all qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, or marital status.