Special Use Facilitator
Los Angeles River Center and Gardens
Type of Job
Apr 4, 2022
About the job
The Special Use Facilitator position will be based out of the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens and will perform a wide variety of administrative support functions associated with venue services including clerical duties, sales and marketing support as well as special event rentals at the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens and adjacent areas.
Applications for this position are accepted online at https://www.calopps.org/mountains-recreation-conservation-authority. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need an accommodation in the recruitment process. Learn more about the MRCA team at https://mrca.ca.gov/about/employment/.
This position requires a highly motivated, responsible, organized and self-starter individual who can handle an array of tasks, has good judgement and can make decisions, and works independently or as part of a team. The individual must be able to come up with multiple solutions to any given problem, in areas that may be outside their expertise, and be willing to take on uncertain challenges.
This is an administrative position for a person at an intermediate level. The work performed will support the MRCA’s operation of nature parks within greater Los Angeles, land acquisition and capital improvement Workprograms, and other efforts related to public access, open space conservation, habitat restoration, and urban park development.
This position reports to the Chief of Developed Resources.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Handles all aspects of coordinating special use of the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens and adjacent areas.
- Maintains calendars for those venues in coordination with site and filming managers.
- Coordinates agency and tenant use of the facility.
- Schedules all events including meetings, retreats, fundraisers and weddings.
- Develops marketing strategies to generate more revenue.
- Prepares and monitors billing for all events.
- Collects and processes payments for deposit.
- Performs reconciliation of permits, including refunds.
- Maintains revenue records, permits and other files.
- Provides input on maintenance and improvement projects for the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens and adjacent areas.
- Coordinates with operations staff and confirms scheduling of events.
- Provides clerical support for supervisory and administrative staff.
- Conducts venue tours as needed.
- Analyze, verify and obtain payment approvals for invoices.
- Work closely with vendors and other stakeholders.
- Maintain good habits of answering and responding to incoming telephone calls, correspondence, and when communicating and providing customer service to citizens who seek assistance.
- Maintain positive relationships with coworkers, representatives of other government agencies, non-profit organizations, homeowner’s associations, and the public at large.
- Perform related duties as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position, occasionally move about inside the office to access supplies and office machinery, frequently communicate and exchange information, review handwritten, electronic and facsimile documents, and operate a computer and other office productivity machinery. The employee must occasionally move items weighing up to 20 pounds inside the office.
Required Hours and Location
Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week with some scheduling flexibility. Occasional overtime work in evenings or weekends upon prior approval by supervisor. The position will work out of the Los Angeles River Center and Gardens but may be required to travel to various other locations.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Education and Experience
- Associate degree or its equivalent and three years of experience in related field.
- Common Windows-based programs including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Office practices and procedures.
- Prioritize varying tasks and projects and manage multiple projects at once.
- Work independently to handle multiple tasks under deadlines.
- Revise work approach to address changed conditions.
- Complete projects and follow oral and written directions.
- Quickly change tasks and focus.
- Learn technical material.
- Consistently follow established procedures.
- Innovate and improve processes.
- Learn new software including WordPerfect.
- Exercise discretion and sensitivity to confidential information.
- Respond quickly to changes in policy and priority.
- Participate in events and other activities as required.
- Work at various agency locations.
- Strong follow-through on assignments.
- Must be flexible to work a schedule that may include evenings and weekdays.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relations with those contacted in the course of work including the general public.
Bilingual skills in English and another locally common language, such as Spanish, Korean, Farsi, Chinese, Armenian, Yiddish, or Tagalog is highly desired.
This job announcement is not intended to, and does not, create an employment contract of any kind and does not create any express or implied contractual obligations. Employment at MRCA is at-will without exception. The employee and MRCA may terminate employment at any time with or without advance notice and with or without cause.
Any provision contained in this job announcement may be modified or revoked at any time without notice.