Special Events Coordinator
Type of Job
$65,000 to $80,000
Jun 2, 2021
About the job
THIS POSITION CAN BE IN ANY LOCATION/REMOTE
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our staff of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and internationally from our offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
Reporting to the co-Assistant Directors, Special Events, the Special Events Coordinator is responsible for the management of all logistics and details related to NRDC’s virtual and in-person gatherings in service to the goal of engaging our major and principal gift donor base through high-level fundraising and cultivation events. The Special Events Coordinator will be responsible for the majority of event preparation, including but not limited to, assisting with seating plans, ticketing, timelines and data management, paper and electronic communications and mailings, guests lists and name tag production, menu, décor and event swag recommendations, and evaluating success and areas for improvement at the conclusion of each event. This position requires superior attention to detail, excellent organization skills and the ability to multi-task in a high-paced environment. The Special Events Coordinator is resourceful and a good problem solver with excellent collaboration and customer service skills.
- Identify and manage all event-related logistical details, from event conception to conclusion, for both virtual and in-person national events.
- Assist in developing concepts and designs for all events.
- Coordinate mailings of materials and invitations.
- Manage all day-of event logistics as well as appropriate follow-up activities.
- Research vendors and make informed recommendations; negotiate with vendors to ensure the best possible outcome for NRDC.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of event-related budgets and other event spreadsheets.
- Effectively liaise with venues and vendors as well as both internal and external stakeholders during the event planning process.
- Effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders with regard to event processes and procedures.
- Maintain working knowledge of industry best practices.
- Develop and maintain an extensive network of contacts to facilitate best-in-class event production.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of event support and production experience preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong negotiation, leadership and logistical planning skills
- Ability to multi-task, remain calm and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Other database management experience a plus.
- Excellent organizational, project management, time management skills and ability to think creatively
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Extensive experience working with donors and volunteers
- Strong initiative and customer-service orientation – volunteer management skills are an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interface with a diverse group of people
- Demonstrated consistent high energy level and flexibility, pleasant persona and ability to maintain confidential information.
- Collegial team player able to interact effectively with diverse internal and external constituencies.
- Strong commitment to environmental advocacy preferred
- Shows a sensitivity, awareness and willingness to learn and participate in the advancement of DEI strongly preferred
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience. Job grade for this role is Solves 2 with a salary ranging from $65,000 to a $80,000. Internal equity considerations and the average salary of the peer range will be reviewed before making a final offer.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, or if you are a person with a disability and you need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.