Solar Performance Engineer
Type of Job
Nov 9, 2022
About the job
Sol Systems is seeking a Solar Performance Engineer to join the Asset Management Group. As Sol Systems’ base of customers and projects grows, asset management will play an increasingly vital role for the company. The Asset Management team helps Sol Systems’ clients manage their solar investments through technical and financial analysis and advisory services. The team also supports Sol Systems’ strategic vision by monitoring the company’s direct investments, managing financial exposure from existing contracts and advising the company on strategic initiatives. The group provides real world feedback to internal and external stakeholders from technical analysis on its operating portfolio.
Sol Systems is a solar energy project development and financial services company with a national footprint and a diverse customer, investor, and partner base. The company has financed or developed over $2 billion of solar energy assets to date. As a leading renewable energy developer, financier, trader and operator, Sol Systems empowers entrepreneurs to have a meaningful impact on the world with a focus on catalyzing the development and operation of sustainable infrastructure.
- Engineering support for a growing portfolio of operational distributed generation (DG) and utility scale solar projects
- Managing O&M service providers to resolve issues and ensure optimal PV project performance.
- Proactively identifying, addressing, and resolving concerns, risks, and questions about system performance and construction
- Preparing technical performance reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Building and streamlining internal processes and tools to achieve efficiency, accuracy, and scalability, especially for large-scale performance data and analytics
- Utilizing various tools and software platforms to support commissioning and onboarding of solar projects as they transition from construction to operations
- Maintaining a database of existing and future distributed generation and utility assets by entering maintenance events and performance data and validating record integrity by cross referencing with source data.
- Maintaining accurate inventory of key project attributes including installed equipment, spare parts, warranty period & service contract milestones
- Providing management with feedback on O&M contract provisions to improve future contracting procedures and performance
- Ensuring that the company adheres to contractual reporting requirements related to the performance of assets and trend analysis of issues that occur, as well as suggesting process improvements and generating correspondence to O&M subcontractors.
- Administering warranty/performance guarantees by ensuring minimum production guarantees are met with regards to the EPC/O&M contracts
- Working with external partners such as O&M service providers, equipment manufacturers, and software companies
- Promoting a continuous improvement culture by providing feedback from the field to Sol’s Origination, Development, Engineering, and Constructions teams
- Occasional travel required to PV construction and operational sites
A successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related field
- Zero to five years of work experience.
- A strong desire to work in the solar energy industry. Previous experience managing operational solar projects or O&M service providers is a plus.
- Proficiency with data science and data visualization tools such as Python and Power BI a plus
- Strong quantitative skills including statistics, data analysis, root cause analysis, and the ability to extract meaningful and actionable conclusions from large data sets
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to succinctly summarize complex technical issues, both in writing and verbally.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Hard working, detail and process oriented, self-starter, curious, values continuous learning, and the ability to multi-task in order to meet deadlines
- Flexibility and ability to work in a small office, open floor plan environment.
- Calm, positive attitude in stressful situations
Location & Hours: This is a full-time role and will be based in our Washington, DC office. We offer a hybrid work schedule with the flexibility to work remotely three days a week.
Commitment & Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Sol Systems provides health insurance, retirement benefits, partial gym reimbursement, education benefits, parental leave, paid vacation, sick and federal holidays, and the opportunity to work in a unique and dynamic environment.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
Deadline: We hope to hire for these positions immediately and will review applicants on a rolling basis.
Sol Systems is an equal-opportunity employer, and does not discriminate based on gender, race, ethnicity, orientation, creed, or other traits. Sol Systems supports and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.