Social Media Manager
Reston, VA or Washington, DC
Type of Job
$60,000 - $70,000
Jun 29, 2021
About the job
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into one of America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organizations with 53 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, etc. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. The organization's programs focus on conserving wildlife, restoring habitat and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
We are seeking a passionate and creative Social Media Manager to join our Digital Engagement Team. Working closely with the Senior Manager and Senior Director of Digital Engagement, you will lead the daily social media moderation and community management of our national brand social presence, driving the advocacy and fundraising efforts of the National Wildlife Federation.
All positions are currently remote while we make return to office decisions, which is expected to be in September 2021. This position will ultimately be a part of either our downtown DC office or Reston, VA headquarters' building.
You'll work collaboratively with teams across the Federation to create integrated social media content that is engaging, on-brand, and on-target, while listening to and representing the voices of our members, supporters, partners, and followers. As part of the Digital Engagement team, you'll also support the Federation's advocacy, fundraising, and program goals, uncovering opportunities, overcoming challenges, and fueling success across multiple engagement platforms.
In this role you will:
- Serve as community manager of our national Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts, and propose potential other platforms as appropriate.
- Provide expertise and support to communications and program teams for social media strategy needs, such as content creation around press releases, event promotion, or partner toolkits.
- Create engaging short-form video, graphic, and written social content to communicate our goals and mission in a creative and simple fashion, driving our users to take further action. Maintain a content calendar for the national accounts, tracking milestone dates and holidays.
- Establish and analyze social media performance metrics and monitor progress toward goals, fine-tuning strategies as necessary. Evaluate the effectiveness of campaign strategies and use these insights to inform improvement. Promote data-driven decision making.
- Set the tone and style for NWF’s social media content across multiple teams, establishing the organization as a leader in conservation and environmental digital engagement.
- Work closely with the Senior Manager of Digital Marketing to communicate program needs for social advertising campaigns and manage logistics as needed.
- Work as part of a collaborative team to develop and implement effective digital engagement strategies and campaigns across a range of issues and conservation priorities.
- Stay abreast of innovative social methodologies and strategies, further your knowledge of industry trends and best practices, and foster a solid understanding of the National Wildlife Federation’s mission and values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required
- At least 5+ years of related social media and digital engagement experience
- Proven experience stewarding social media best practices and processes across a large organization
- Curiosity and passion for digital communication tools and social media trends
- Superior communications, and excellent time management and organization skills. Creative thinking. Problem solving. Attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, coupled with strong initiative and willingness to take on projects and run with them
- Proficiency in Hootsuite, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, and Microsoft Office Suite is required
- College degree preferred
- Passion for the preservation and protection of wildlife and wild places is desirable
- Experience working in a member organization, in environmental conservation or on political campaigns is a plus
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is currently $60,000 - $70,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
The National Wildlife Federation values work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere. Our paid time-off includes 3 weeks of vacation leave, open wellbeing leave, 10 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, a week-long winter break, and additional leave options, per year. In addition, our benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, company paid life insurance, AD&D, short and long-term disability, 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, 403b retirement plan with employer matching and annual contribution, adoption benefits, and flexible work options including telecommuting, non-traditional work hours, and compressed work weeks. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, and if you have 75% of the qualifications listed we encourage you to apply. Your experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, which helps build the competencies, knowledge, and skills that translates directly to our openings. Applying gives you the opportunity to be considered.
Candidates must submit a cover letter and resume.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.