Senior Strategist, US Banks
United States; Preferably EST zone
Type of Job
$116,325 - $120,760 USD
Apr 18, 2023
About the job
About the Role
The role develops and executes on strategies to shift the biggest banks in the US away from funding fossil fuels. The role sits within the Global Banks team and contributes to the global strategy.
We support networks of organizations to work together to achieve outcomes that would not be possible by individual organizations acting alone. This role will actively support the capacity building of these networks and partner organizations.
You’re a natural campaigner, creative thinker with a strong track record of making change happen. You have a strong strategic sense and an understanding of how power works in the world and how to campaign on corporate targets. You want to shift the role of financial institutions and hold corporate power to account.
You understand how big banks operate either through your experience as a campaigner, in the government, or through your work in the financial sector. You can develop strategy, build a team, manage multiple concurrent projects, across time zones and continents and also feel comfortable working effectively in collaborative teams.
You’ve got exceptional networking and interpersonal communication skills and are just as comfortable working with senior finance industry professionals as you are with grassroots climate activists.
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project U.S. is a team of experienced change-makers with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With affiliated programs and staff in Australia and Europe, we have developed a unique model of grant making and campaigning that supports networks of organizations to drive powerful change towards our mission.
We have a dynamic and nimble organisational culture. We’re serious about supporting our people to thrive as we tackle the urgent climate challenge.
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements. We take the broadest possible view of diversity and encourage First Nations people, people of color, people living outside of cities, people living with disabilities, neurodiverse, and LGBTQIA+ people to apply. We are continually working on becoming a better workplace for everyone. You can find out more here.
- Develops campaign strategies and plans, and actively drives campaign strategy to win and enforce policy changes at target banks;
- Jointly manages a multi-million-dollar campaign budget and partner grants;
- Collaborates with the existing network of organizations campaigning to shift finance out of fossil fuels in the US and ensures alignment of Sunrise mission, values, and OKRs
- Brings in new network partners with a focus on diversifying the movement and building needed power, and proactively fill the gaps in strategy and tactics as needed
- Ensures that campaign demands to banks are consistent with the Global Banks work and that big banks are held accountable to the same standards in the US as outside it
- Works closely with the Central Banks/Fed and Financial regulation team to align strategy, goals, and tactics
- Reacts and takes advantage of emerging campaign opportunities
- Nurtures the development of stronger alliances and convene meetings of alliance partners and networks as required;
- Conducts or manages a process to secure detailed research in order to develop focused and effective campaign strategies;
- Identifies opportunities to provide advice and support to key organizations and campaigns in order to increase their effectiveness;
Required skills, knowledge, and experience
- Significant experience as a campaigner working on global climate, finance, and/or corporate accountability campaigns;
- Demonstrated experience managing campaign implementation at a national and/or global level;
- A strong collaborative organizer who focuses on bringing everyone along the campaign journey
- Ability to learn new subjects quickly, and apply this knowledge to campaign plans and tactics.
- Proficiency and experience in campaign strategy, systems thinking, and facilitation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to articulate strategies in a clear and compelling way;
- Ability to thrive in a high-paced environment.
- A passion for action on climate change and a commitment to social justice.
A working knowledge of the finance sector and the drivers and dynamics of capital markets
- You must have full working rights for the United States. The Sunrise Project is unable to sponsor applicants for employment visas.
- Employment background checks may be/are required.
- Attend local in person partner actions.
- Intermittent travel with advanced notice may be required.
- COVID-19 vaccinations may apply in accordance with local legislation and/or Sunrise policy
- Flexibility to adjust work hours to accommodate multiple time zones
How Sunrise supports its staff:
The Sunrise Project U.S. is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- 401(k) & employer match
- 100% employer paid health, vision and dental coverage
- Five weeks of vacation leave
- Birthday leave (if it’s your birthday, you get a day off)
- Cultural & solidarity leave
- Flexible work policy, including hybrid remote home/office
- Laptop (Mac) and accessories
- Commitment to supporting your professional development (up to $2000 per annum)
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3 month work plan to ensure you have clarity on your role and responsibilities
We recognize that racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, classism and other forms of discrimination creates structural barriers that impact opportunities to formal education and experience. When assessing candidates we look at more than the jobs you've been paid to do but the range of ways you've picked up skills and knowledge throughout your life. This is why we assess candidates on how well they respond to application questions and don’t require a cover letter.
You'll be taken to Be Applied to complete your application.
The application window will close 2 May, 2023 11:59 pm EST