Type of Job
$80,000 - $85,000
May 20, 2022
About the job
This position is responsible for developing a comprehensive talent acquisition strategy in line
with Defenders’ long-term organizational which include designing, implementing, and executing full-cycle talent acquisition practices and processes that meet Defenders’ diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice (DEIJ) goals; building relationships with universities and conservation groups to highlight Defenders as an employer of choice; developing metrics and monitoring effectiveness of talent acquisition programs.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other recruiting positions in the HR department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Design and implement recruitment, interviewing, selection, and onboarding best practices which include partnering with hiring managers to update position descriptions and role profiles; formulating recruitment strategies and executing sourcing plans to identify and attract qualified candidates; developing and training behavioral-based interviewing techniques and data-based selection processes; administering appropriate assessments, reference checks, and background checks.
• Establish and maintain talent pipelines through proactive sourcing, targeted engagement, and passive candidate recruitment.
• Participate in recruitment events and develop outreach efforts in support of Defenders’ DEIJ goals.
• Ensure timely communication with candidates and hiring managers on the recruiting process and pending needs. Educate candidates about Defenders’ business, culture, benefits, and role expectations.
• Manage Defenders’ Applicant Tracking System, to include timely and accurate record- keeping, reporting, and analytics.
• Serve as backup for HR operations as needed, to include benefits administration and HRIS updates.
• Perform other related duties as needed.
Education: Bachelor’s (B.A./B.S.) degree or equivalent
Experience: 6 years of experience with full-cycle recruitment required, preferably for geographically disbursed organizations.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities for All Defenders
- Personal interest in and commitment to conservation.
- Ability and willingness to model the tenets of Defenders’ Commitment Statement: Mission, Transparency, Respect & Trust, Appreciation, Empowerment & Accountability, Professional Growth, Fairness, Diversity, Safety, Work/Life Balance, and Pride.
- Ability to approach work in a collaborative and inclusive style, with a solutions-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently as needed, problem solve, and exercise sound decision- making skills in fluid environments to meet job expectations and achieve goals in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ability to represent Defenders to external entities and the public in a professional manner while exercising tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Demonstrates a willingness and ability to productively engage and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives.
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate with internal and external stakeholders, in both verbal and written forms.
- Ability to effectively navigate through change and maintain flexibility.
- Ability to effectively address and manage conflict.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and Word.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities for Professional 4
- Ability to accurately maintain electronic and physical records
- Anticipate and meet the needs of internal and/or external stakeholders delivering excellent service
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to articulate complex ideas clearly, accurately and concisely
- Ability to convey effective messages to broad and diverse constituencies
- Ability and willingness to effectively represent Defenders’ interests in external environments
- Ability to exert influence and build consensus with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion
- Strong research and data analysis skills, including ability to gather and synthesize information from multiple sources to produce high quality work products in a consistent, efficient, accurate, and timely manner
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with willingness to experiment and innovate new methods.
- Facilitate and promote the integration of diversity, equity and inclusion strategies into Defenders’ work
- Ability to independently exercise appropriate judgment in response to complex and/or fluid environments
- Strategic thinker with the ability to take high-level strategy and translate into relatable points and action steps.
- Ability to work well under pressure and tight deadlines while balancing competing assignments
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to shifting priorities while remaining responsive to urgent requests
- Ability to take ownership of a project or process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues
- Ability to manage deadlines on multiple cross-functional projects in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability in managing competing interests on complex issues
- Ability to independently initiate project and initiative ideas; managing projects and initiatives through to completion
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities for Senior Recruiter
- Expert knowledge of recruitment and hiring best practices
- Mature knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local employment laws for DC and other jurisdictions in which Defenders conducts its business
- Expert knowledge in applicant tracking systems and internet sourcing tools
Visit www.defenders.org to apply.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Defenders requires employees who engage in in-person work activities, including business travel or onsite work, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An applicant (i) who is disabled or pregnant or who has a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination or (ii) who objects to being vaccinated on the basis of a sincerely held religious belief, observance or practice may request an exemption from this vaccination policy. This determination will be made on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with applicable law. Any medical information concerning an applicant's disability will be treated as a confidential medical record in compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Please be advised this position is non union-eligible.