Senior Project Manager
Type of Job
Sep 9, 2021
About the job
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is a non-profit environmental advocacy organization. We use law, science, and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure the rights of all people to clean air, clean water, and healthy communities. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations. Today, our staff of more than 700 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy advocates, communications experts, and others work across the United States and internationally from our offices in New York; Washington, D.C.; Chicago; Santa Monica; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Senior Project Manager to work with the Information Technology (IT) in either our New York, Washington DC, Chicago, Santa Monica, Bozeman (MT), or San Francisco offices. The role will ensure IT projects are delivered on-time, within scope, and with high quality. Duties include portfolio management; planning project deliverables and schedules; supervise staff involved in projects; risk management planning; engage and coordinate with stakeholders; oversee scheduling and task assignments to ensure all deliverables are achieved within the scope of the project and within the allotted budget. The role will also work with the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and the department directors to manage the department’s project portfolio.
- Work with the CIO and team leaders to manage the IT department project portfolio
- Work with the CIO, team leaders, and key stakeholders to plan and execute projects assigned within the IT department’s portfolio
- Lead the Project Management team and supervise two Project Managers, including oversight of project portfolio assignments and workload, providing escalation and guidance, conducting performance reviews, and supporting professional development.
- Develop project plans for stakeholders and team members
- Delegate and assign project tasks to team members
- Implement and encourage best practices for change management and risk management
- Track project performance and analyze project deliverables against the requirements
- Ensure budgetary objectives are met
- Report on portfolio health to the CIO, the Project Management Team, and the IT directors
- Coach and encourage team members to follow best practices with project management
- Bachelor degree in business administration, computer science, computer/software engineering, or a relevant field
- 7+ years planning and leading projects as a project manager
- Experience leading IT projects, such as infrastructure, transformation, and/or application development
- Strong knowledge of project management under PMI methodology
- Strong knowledge of project management methodologies, including Waterfall and Agile
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong knowledge of change management best practices
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Strong knowledge of risk management best practices
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Active listening and capacity to communicate empathetically
- Attention to detail along with an aptitude in long-term planning
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Commitment to NRDC’s values and mission.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Experience leading projects related to Salesforce CRM
- 5+ years knowledge of capital and operating budget planning, execution, and reporting
- Experience with external vendor contracts, procurement, and contract management
- Experience with Program Management or leading multiple projects interconnected with programs or as separate projects
- Familiarity with MS Project, MS Excel, Asana, and SmartSheets
- iTIL certified/trained
NRDC is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, both in our work and in our workplace. We believe that celebrating and actively welcoming a diversity of voices and perspectives is essential to solving the planet's most pressing environmental problems, and we encourage applications from candidates whose identities have been historically under-represented in the environmental movement. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience. Job grade for this role is Guides 3 with a salary ranging from a minimum of $140,000 to a midpoint of $150,000. Internal equity considerations and the average salary of the peer range will be reviewed before making a final offer.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Due to the high volume of resumes, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, or if you are a person with a disability and you need assistance applying online, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org.