Senior Paralegal (Legal East Team)
Type of Job
Aug 25, 2021
About the job
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy (the “Conservancy” or “TNC”) has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies, and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
The Senior Paralegal assists attorneys in the Eastern U.S. Division Legal Department in providing legal services to internal clients, by providing paralegal, database, and administrative services. Duties include creation, implementation, and maintenance of systems for efficient operation of the legal team that supports New England and Europe. The ideal candidate will have a strong work ethic and possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
With minimal supervision from a TNC attorney, the Senior Paralegal provides an advanced level of expertise to support and coordinate legal services on complex and/or high value matters for assigned business units or projects, ensuring that transactions and activities are legally sound and consistent with TNC’s mission, authority, policies, and procedures. The Senior Paralegal applies advanced knowledge and skills to serve organizational needs in a highly efficient and effective manner. They are able to effectively articulate relevant legal concepts and internal policies and procedures to others. They have a solid understanding of the concept of legal liability and risk management. Essential functions include assisting attorneys with real estate transactions, contracts, litigation management, and other projects. Duties may include managing files, drafting routine legal documents, correspondence and forms, entering data into the Conservancy’s Legal Link system. Duties may also include maintenance of portions of the Legal Link database system.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
· Supports and coordinates complex and/or high value real estate transactions and contracts, regulatory compliance filings, employment law, litigation management or other specialized legal areas.
· Supports acceptance and disposition of real estate in context of donations.
· Ensures legal commitments, TNC policies and procedures, and legal requirements are met and managed for compliance.
· Collects and manages official corporate legal files, in electronic and paper form.
· Drafts and revises complex legal documents for review by attorney.
· Independently drafts well-written memoranda, correspondence, and transaction documents (such as escrow instructions and deeds) and revises as necessary.
· Initiates and completes financial and accounting forms related to legal matters and ensures that such forms comply with TNC policies and procedures.
· Assists business unit staff with preparation of project approval packages. Routes project packages for approvals at BU and attorney levels.
· Independently interacts and coordinates with assigned business unit staff and outside parties.
· Supervises and/or provides guidance and training to less experienced paralegals, legal support staff, and volunteers.
· May assist TNC attorneys in trainings for legal and business unit staff.
· May have significant financial responsibility, including processing check and wiring requests.
· Bachelor’s degree in paralegal or legal assistant studies plus four (4) years of combined legal and administrative experience OR equivalent qualifications acquired through coursework and/or related job experience that demonstrates assumption of significant responsibilities for supporting and coordinating complex or specialized legal work.
· Advanced experience conducting research on the Internet and in other legal resources.
· Advanced experience with MSOffice 365 (Word, Excel and MS Teams),
· Excellent writing skills.
· Multi-lingual skills (German or French) and multi-cultural experience appreciated.
· Relevant legal experience (with real estate transactions, contracts, and litigation management).
· Experience with accounting/financial issues and analysis.
To apply for position number 50018, submit your resume and cover letter (BOTH REQUIRED) separately by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Please upload your materials in PDF format. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.