Senior Managing Director, Digital Fundraising & Advertising
Oakland, CA; Washington, DC; Remote
Type of Job
$120,000-$135,000 if Region 1 (e.g., DC and OAK)
Aug 5, 2022
About the job
At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Senior Managing Director, Digital Fundraising & Advertising is responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive strategy to drive fundraising goals across one-time gifts and monthly giving, audience growth, peer to peer/community fundraising, the online store, Sierra Club Outings, and business partnerships. Through digital marketing, advertising, and overall fundraising optimization and innovation, this position provides the strategic skills and tactical direction necessary to achieve budget and audience growth goals that create a strong member/supporter experience and advance the Sierra Club's programmatic and communications goals. This individual plays a leadership role within a top-tier integrated fundraising program, and requires a team player who can orchestrate an effective strategy to drive ongoing program innovation and revenue growth.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Develop annual plans and budget goals for online fundraising. Work with Membership and Direct Marketing team leadership and Senior Director, Finance and Administration to develop annual fundraising plans and goals for existing and emerging digital channels.
- Direct the development, design, and implementation of the online fundraising and marketing program. This hands-on work includes running email, digital ads, messaging, and website optimization programs; launching new campaigns, offers, and fundraising opportunities; developing and editing creative; overseeing a robust testing program; monitoring vendor results and operational processes; managing production schedules; and reporting on program and testing results to recommend pivots or enhancements.
- Lead digital integration efforts with other Membership and Direct Marketing programs. Collaborate with other direct response leads to create a cohesive strategy for new donor acquisition, the monthly donor program, fund appeals, renewals, and reinstates to maximize donor value through multi-channel fundraising efforts. Responsible for optimizing results of the online renewals program and the Sierra Club's monthly donor online acquisition programs.
- Coordinate efforts with other departments and teams to fully engage and cultivate Sierra Club audiences. Help support a cohesive experience on digital channels for supporters, including members, subscribers, digital activists, volunteers, Outings and event participants, and social media followers. Use digital channels to increase donor cultivation and personalization. In conjunction with the Digital Strategies department, coordinate the email and mobile calendars for overall send volume and management.
- Oversee Sierra Club's in-house digital advertising and acquisition team to lead digital advertising across the organization. This includes email acquisition; direct-to-donation advertising; digital advertising for all Sierra Club programs to achieve communications, advocacy, and political goals; and other revenue-generating programs such as the online store and Adopt a Wild Animal, and Sierra Club Outings.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to support the development of new audiences and a diverse donor base. Partner with the brand marketing team to build a holistic marketing funnel from top-of-funnel brand work to bottom-of-funnel fundraising strategies; data teams to ensure quality lead generation from paid advertising; and membership teams to reach and engage younger and diverse audiences.
- Guide peer to peer and community fundraising. Identify opportunities and provide strategic input and support to use peer to peer/community fundraising and signature events to scale audience growth and drive revenue.
- Oversee strategy for eCommerce programs, including the online store, Adopt a Wild Animal, and Outings.
- Spearhead initiatives to optimize digital fundraising, including website optimization, personalization, and other testing. Work with optimization vendor-partners to research, propose, monitor, and analyze new tests for web and digital channels. Follow the digital landscape to understand emerging opportunities in digital fundraising and fundraising infrastructure.
- Oversee the digital marketing efforts for Sierra Club's revenue-generating business partners. Collaborate with the brand marketing and business partnerships team to guide the digital marketing strategy and development of marketing materials for business partners, including solar homes, vehicle donations, apparel, and other current/future partnership opportunities.
- Oversee Sierra Club's Facebook Messenger program. Guide strategy to grow and engage a dynamic subscriber base to help achieve audience growth, programmatic, and fundraising goals.
- Orchestrate large scale rapid response online fundraising efforts. As required for major breaking news and relevant national and world events.
- Support and facilitate online fundraising and cultivation for mid-level giving, chapters, and other teams within Advancement. Work with Planned Giving, Summit Circle, and other mid-level/major giving donor programs to implement digital tactics (e.g. emails, surveys, etc.) as needed. Collaborate with the chapter fundraising team to support chapter fundraising strategy and training.
- Supervise the work of direct reports. Provide guidance and direction, give ongoing feedback and conduct performance evaluations, effectively recommend personnel decisions, and provide training and development for the team’s professional growth.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Significant experience in digital fundraising, advertising, and/or marketing programs. You are comfortable developing fundraising/marketing messaging strategy and content, guiding digital creative and design, and managing data-driven fundraising strategies.
- Strong experience directing the strategy and execution of a multifaceted digital fundraising and advertising team. You nurture a results-driven, data-centered culture of supportive risk-taking and experimentation.
- High proficiency with major digital advertising platforms and strategies, including SEM, social and display.
- Demonstrated initiative in pursuing opportunities and understanding the ever-evolving digital landscape. You have an entrepreneurial spirit to understand new developments in the space and identify tactics we should be testing (and those we shouldn't).
- Commitment to collaborating with others in a complex, dynamic organizational environment. Your first instinct is to develop trust, find creative solutions, and form strong collaborative working relationships.
- Operationalizing Equity. You model effective equity analysis and practice and demonstrate a sophisticated understanding of how group dynamics impact supervisory relationships, organizational culture, partnerships, campaigns and coalition work. Your decision-making is consistent, intentional, and committed to creating equitable outcomes at all levels. You have led high-performing and leaderful teams across group identities. You intervene when challenging group dynamics play out, in ways that build understanding, trust, and deeper self-awareness of team members.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Experience with large-scale database management and nonprofit constituent relationship management systems. Salesforce experience a plus.
- Graphic and web design experience, skills, and knowledge of best practices.
- Testing and optimization experience, skills, and knowledge of best practices.
- Experience with messaging platforms, including Facebook Messenger, Chatfuel, and MobileCommons.
Compensation and Benefits
- The salary for this position is $120,000-$135,000 if Region 1 (e.g., DC and OAK).
- The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
- This is a category 3 exempt, non-represented, managerial position.
- Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee's manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., "B.A. Philosophy"), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
We are accepting applications until filled.