Senior Manager, Food and Forests
Type of Job
About the job
Senior Manager, Food and Forests - Forest Carbon Credit
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Food and Forests team works to protect forests from the impacts of agriculture, largely with a focus on influencing the largest food and beverage companies to improve the sustainability of their agricultural sourcing policies and practices. We are seeking a Senior Manager, Food and Forests to support key projects on the role of forests and land in corporate climate strategies.
The Senior Manager leads research and investor engagement on natural climate solutions (especially forest carbon credits), working with investors, companies, and partner organizations to drive the appropriate use of forest carbon credits as part of corporate climate strategies. This position also supports the research and programmatic work of the Food and Forest team more broadly. This role We seek a solution oriented individual to work in close collaboration with colleagues at Ceres as well as external partners. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office, with possibility of remote work within the United States for the appropriate candidate.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the development and execution of programmatic strategy for Ceres’ work on forest carbon credits
- Lead the creation, release, and distribution of new investor-facing research and analysis on forest carbon credits
- Stay current on scientific and market developments related to deforestation, AFOLU carbon credits, natural climate solutions, and corporate climate targets
- Develop, maintain and expand relationships with other NGO partners
- Work in partnership with the Program Director and Manager of Communications to develop media messaging and communications
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work
- Coordinate with other Ceres program teams (e.g. Climate & Energy, Water, Investor Network, Company Network,) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives
- Support team in training new staff or providing professional development to team members
- Supervise one or more staff members including project management oversight, training and evaluation duties.
- Work in partnership with the Program Director and the Development team to draft and edit fundraising proposals and reports
- Manage planning related to this initiative for the Ceres annual conference program and other events to educate stakeholders
- Support the implementation and development of program management systems including developing goals, tracking KPIs and evaluating the results and progress of the program.
- Travel to meetings and events, including international travel, as required
- Support special projects of Food and Forests team, as necessary
- Assure that programmatic strategies maximize the impacts of our work through a lens of social and racial equity.
- Seven or more years of relevant work experience in a sustainability field, with a focus on nature-based solutions to climate change
- Familiarity with carbon markets, GHG emission reduction standards, and international climate negotiations.
- Familiarity with REDD+ and jurisdictional-scale approaches to carbon crediting, preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of corporate supply chains and sustainable sourcing best practices through academic coursework or direct work experience
- Understanding of or interest in institutional investors and capital markets
- Experience designing and leading campaigns or other significant and complex projects.
- Excellent written, presentation and speaking skillsDemonstrated ability to bring an advocacy perspective to analysis and corporate engagement and make clear recommendations for actions and next steps
- Effective facilitation skills with the ability to bring divergent ideas to a productive conclusion.Experience as a supervisor providing training and honest feedback, supporting professional development, and cultivating effective supervisory relationships across gender, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted aboveProficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter. Please apply through the Ceres website, https://www.ceres.org/about-us/career-opportunities.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law