Senior Manager, Business Engagement
Washington, DC (remote considered in some areas)
Type of Job
May 11, 2022
About the job
Senior Manager, Business Engagement
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) seeks a dynamic Senior Manager for Business Engagement to manage programs and projects within IMT’s business engagement strategy to drive market adoption of decarbonized, high-performing buildings and improve community livability where these buildings are located. The successful candidate is passionate about sustainable practices, and has an entrepreneurial spirit with the confidence to explore, create, and lead non-traditional solutions that strive to change business as usual. This role provides a unique opportunity to drive market-transforming solutions that harness the momentum of leading companies as they raise their climate ambitions to achieve carbon, energy, and social objectives of unprecedented scale. The Senior Manager will lead IMT’s work in performance-based leasing and its Green Lease Leaders program, and will provide clear recommendations for the program’s evolution.
The Senior Manager will also contribute to the Business Engagement team’s overall strategy and goals with a particular focus on responding to, as well as influencing, Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) reporting and impact investing trends. The individual will have experience working in the real estate industry, and be able to represent IMT externally with a range of relevant stakeholders. These include but are not limited to owners, operators, tenants, lenders, investors, brokers, attorneys, retailers, energy service providers, community stakeholders, and local government. This position reports to the Director for Business Engagement and will work collaboratively across the organization.
- Advise government agencies, property owners, large tenants, and other real estate stakeholders on how to improve the building energy and ESG performance through strategic programs and policies, especially performance-based leasing.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with national peer organizations and real estate industry stakeholders.
- Contribute to evolving the strategic direction of projects and programs related to IMT’s overall business engagement work in line with the organization’s BuildUp 2030 strategic plan.
- Build connections and supportive working relationships between private sector projects and programs and the work of IMT’s community engagement and policy teams.
- Develop forward-thinking solutions that accelerate demand for efficiency through performance-based leasing, tenant programs, commercial real estate financing, and technology.
- Assist in organizing and facilitating regional or national events with partners and stakeholders.
- Present at local, regional and national events as a subject matter expert.
- Contribute to written resources including blog posts, white papers, and other research efforts.
- Manage and oversee consultants and interns.
- Contribute to business development and fundraising as directed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate and/ or graduate degree in real estate, finance, sustainability management, business, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience in real estate, sustainability, and/or energy efficiency.
- An entrepreneurial drive and comfort exploring new ideas for tackling difficult climate and energy problems head-on, with a demonstrated ability to devise creative, structured approaches to overcoming such challenges.
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated experience in energy efficiency and high-performance building operations required.
- Demonstrated experience with Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) reporting, especially Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB).
- Ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously and manage complex workflows. Project management experience required.
- Skilled communicator (written and verbal) with a professional demeanor who can develop and present material with confidence, and can read the interest of the audience and pivot presentation tactics accordingly.
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, including building owners and operators, policy-makers, finance professionals, local government and community stakeholders.
- Ability to build consensus around project priorities.
- Experience managing staff/interns directly preferred.
This is a full-time position located at IMT’s headquarters in Washington, DC. However, remote employment will be considered in the following cities and surrounding areas: Chicago, IL; Denver, CO; or New York, NY. IMT currently encourages remote work in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The salary range for this position is $90,000 to $100,000, commensurate with experience and based on geographic location. IMT offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, life insurance and disability coverage. IMT also offers generous paid time-off and certain commuter benefits for the DC-metro area.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please write “Senior Manager – Business Engagement” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, with a mission to catalyze demand for high-performing buildings. Achieving this vision requires market transformation through strategic interventions that remove barriers and to provide an easier path to an energy-efficient built environment. We work in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental groups that are leading the future of energy efficiency. With over 20 years of experience, IMT has supported large-scale outcomes as a driver of important new practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, the economy and the environment.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity-including racial, ethnic, and gender–and is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse organization. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.