Senior Local Strength Coordinator, Together We Rise
Washington, Dist. Columbia, United States 20001
Type of Job
Apr 20, 2023
About the job
Job Category: Non-Bargaining Salary
Requisition Number: SENIO002859
Location: Washington | DC | 20036 | USA
SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
JOB TITLE: Senior Local Strength Coordinator, TWR
GRADE: MGT E
LOCATION: All USA
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: We are the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), a union of about 2 million diverse members in healthcare, the public sector, and property services. We believe in and fight for our Vision for a Just Society: where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where we come from or what color we are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come. We are an anti-racist union determined to check corporate power and uproot structural racism through unions—worker power and collective action—and government—legislative and political action. We fight for Unions for All and a Government that Works for All so that all of us, across race and place, can have power together in unions and participate fully in our democracy.
PURPOSE: The Senior Campaign Coordinator is a position responsible for collaborating with the International Union, and Local Union leaders and staff, to provide high-level support and programmatic assistance to SEIU local unions on membership initiatives, leadership development, and contract campaigns. Drive and support the transformation and modernization of local unions.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Provide organizing leadership with local unions on major internal campaigns involving large scale and large geographic areas. Develop approaches to maintaining and growing their member density, expanding their political reach, and modernizing their systems and practices.
- Work with local union leadership to assist with creating comprehensive education and development of training content to equip staff and members with skills and tools needed to meet the Together We Rise goals related to contract campaigns, new member experience, and political strength.
- Propose and carry out innovative ideas and large scale plans to achieve SEIU's organizing goals
- Share best practices that serve as the model for member engagement and leadership development.
- Coach and mentor local union leadership and executive level staff as needed.
- Assess the organizational development needs of local unions and make available SEIU resources for local unions to access.
- May supervise, lead, assign, and evaluate staff, including developing individual work plans with staff and overseeing their implementation and evaluation.
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the work of the department
CONTACTS: The Together We Rise Oversight Committee; SEIU local union leaders, staff, and members; SEIU staff and departments.
DIRECTION & DECISION MAKING: This position reports to the Assistant Director, Local Strength Team of TWR and works independently.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree or at least three (3) years of supervisory experience and at least 5 years of experience in a union, political, or issue-driven environment. An understanding of current issues and conditions for labor unions. Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Strong knowledge and understanding of SEIU goals, unions or other advocacy organizations.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and perform successfully in a high-pressure and dynamic environment.
- Ability to interact on a peer-level with senior staff at SEIU, other Unions and with other progressive movement or political partners.
- Commitment to creating an equitable and inclusive workplace, and skill supporting the work of diverse staff teams
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; proven presentation skills.
- Ability to develop and implement communications strategy.
- Ability to exercise a high level of judgement and discretion.
- Ability to work independently and approach problem solving in a proactive manner.
- Ability to work on a team, including collaboration on work projects and assignments.
- Ability to multitask, establish and meet established deadlines, and to handle and triage large volumes of incoming requests.
- Strong computer skills including the suite of Microsoft Office and Google products
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is performed in variety of settings that are conducive to advancing union goals that may include settings such as the office, work-site visits, rallies, strikes or other union activity. Driving, frequent travel, irregular and extended hours required.
VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for either a) a certain medical condition(s); or b) on the basis of sincerely held strong religious beliefs and practices; c) as otherwise required by law.