Senior Litigation Assistant, Northeast Office
New York, NY
Type of Job
$81,000 - $90,000
Oct 2, 2023
About the job
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals, and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Bozeman, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu, Houston, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, Seattle, Tallahassee and Washington, D.C.
Earthjustice is soliciting applications for a full-time Senior Litigation Assistant to join the Northeast Office. The successful applicant will provide administrative and litigation support services to our team of lawyers who are working to protect people from toxic chemicals, to secure clean drinking water for all, to end our reliance on fossil fuels, and to make an equitable transition to clean energy. For more information about the Northeast office, please visit https://earthjustice.org/about/offices/northeast.
This position will be hybrid from the NYC office and the Sr. Litigation Assistant will be required to go into the office 2x/weekly.
The Senior Litigation Assistant will provide administrative and litigation support services for the Northeast office. This position reports directly to the Supervising Litigation Paralegal. Tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
- Preparation and editing of documents for filing, including: proofreading, cite checking, bluebooking, formatting, producing tables of contents and authorities, assembling exhibit lists, etc.
- Filing and service of paper and electronic filings.
- Ensuring all court rules are followed.
- Creating, organizing, and maintaining case files and contacts.
- Submitting and tracking new matters and board approval requests, litigation updates, maintaining data for matters, etc.
- Computing and calendaring court deadlines.
- Assisting in the collection, processing, and review of incoming and outgoing discovery productions.
- Assisting attorneys with deposition and hearing preparation, including: organizing document binders, printing exhibits, creating exhibit lists, communicating with court reporters, etc.
- Supporting attorneys in gaining admission to courts, registration renewals, and creating and managing e-filing accounts.
- Cite-checking data figures and numbers. Generating research notes, memoranda, summaries, tables, maps, and other visuals as needed.
- Drafting basic pleadings and other case-related documents under attorney supervision, including: motions, declarations, proposed orders, cover letters, FOIA requests, pro hac vice applications, etc.
- Communicating with courts, experts, co-counsel, opposing counsel, and other external parties as requested by attorneys.
- Conducting factual and legal research under attorney supervision.
- Tracking relevant dockets and issues related to the work of the Northeast office via the Federal Register, agency web sites, various distribution lists, media outlets, etc.
- Participating in conference calls and meetings when relevant to the position and/or assigned projects.
- Operating all office equipment (copier, Stamps.com equipment, fax machines, etc.).
- General case-related administrative assistance (hard copies, correspondence, file management, tracking case updates).
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least two years of paralegal or legal assistant experience in a litigation setting, as demonstrated by:Strong grasp of legal citation convention
Familiarity with civil and appellate procedure
Strong proofreading skills
Proficiency with Westlaw or Lexis
- Interest in and knowledge of environmental or social justice issues a plus.
- A can-do attitude, meticulous attention to detail, and an unrelenting commitment to high performance standards.
- Excellent research, writing, and computer skills.
- Microsoft Office applications and Adobe Acrobat.
- The ability to organize, set priorities among multiple assignments, meet deadlines, and function calmly under pressure.
- The ability to work effectively with remote staff and to maintain confidential information.
- The ability to coordinate workflow and assignments with fellow Litigation Assistants in the Northeast office and to mentor peers.
- Flexible, punctual, highly reliable, and available for occasional evening and weekend work.
- Ability to work for extended periods on the computer as needed to meet filing deadlines.
- A team player who will enthusiastically take on tasks that range from intellectually challenging to more mundane administrative work.
- Able to perform work with high level of autonomy and minimal supervision
- Consistently takes initiative to identify and complete new tasks or projects
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Commits and contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. As a 501(c)(3) organization, Earthjustice is a qualifying employer for purposes of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
Salary range in New York, NY: $81,000 - $90,000
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oOTvofwk&s=GreenLatinos
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.