Senior Federal Climate Advocate
Type of Job
Mar 25, 2021
About the job
Deadline for submission: April 25, 2021
Work Schedule: Exempt, Full-time
Conservation Colorado is seeking a Senior Federal Climate Advocate based in Colorado, (we are currently working remotely until at least this summer). With the election of Joe Biden, we have an unprecedented opportunity to address the climate crisis through policy that reduces greenhouse gas emissions while addressing racial justice and advancing equity. This is a new position focused on taking advantage of this new opportunity to make a real difference in this country’s trajectory on climate change.
This position reports to the Government Affairs Director and manages a part-time team administrator as well as play a key role in providing mentorship to other members of the Government Affairs climate team to develop effective campaigns and build their skills.
About Conservation Colorado
Conservation Colorado is committed to protecting our climate, air, lands, water, and communities. Conservation Colorado’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects our commitment to racial and social justice. Particularly by ensuring that policy victories are shared by all Coloradans including Black, Indigenous, and other people of color (BIPOC) and other frontline communities. We achieve these goals by organizing people and electing conservation-minded policymakers. We work closely with policy leaders, activists, businesses, and other organizations, and have built a reputation as one of the leading conservation advocacy organizations in the region. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture of policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
What You’ll Do
1. Campaign Development & Strategy
- Work with the Government Affairs Director and partners to develop campaign plans and execute them to ensure Colorado delegation members support federal climate policy.
- Provide issue area expertise and stay informed about policy and political developments as they related to campaign strategy.
- Ensure that our equity principles are embedded within all climate campaigns.
2. Legislative and Government Relations Work
- Develop and maintain relationships with elected officials, state & federal agencies, business allies, and other key stakeholders, including expanding key stakeholders to include groups that have been traditionally shut out of environmental spaces.
- Follow federal climate legislation closely and evaluate its potential impact on Colorado with an emphasis on impacts on frontline communities including Black, Indigenous, and other people of Color.
3. Mentorship & Management
- Provide guidance to other team members to develop campaign plans and resolve issues.
- Directly manage the team’s program associate
In addition to your regular responsibilities, all staff are expected to participate in certain fundraising efforts, take part in our election-related activities, and commit to our efforts around equity & inclusivity.
To be successful in this job, you will have 5-7 years of relevant experience developing and executing campaigns (ideally two years at the federal level). Fundamentally, we want someone who is a campaigner at heart and can apply a keen understanding of power building and political strategy to make policy victories a reality, particularly by centering the needs of frontline communities including Black, Indigenous, and other people of color. More specifically, you will have or be most or all the following:
- Experience writing and implementing campaign plans that include sophisticated political analyses and that balance short term priorities with long term goals.
- Maintain a sophisticated understanding of federal climate policy issues particularly by centering the needs of frontline communities including Black, Indigenous, and other people of color.
- We work at the intersection of people, politics, and policy and you will need to share our belief that elections matter and people power can influence decision makers to make long-term policy change.
- We are actively working to expand the environmental movement to include voices that have been traditionally shut out, so you must have successfully worked on teams or in coalitions that exhibit a rich mix of diversity in terms of race and socio-economic backgrounds and have a willingness to do the personal and organizational work around equity and inclusivity.
- A relationship builder that centers respect and trust, motivates people to get the work done, and navigates difficult conversations in a meaningful & respectful manner.
- A great manager (either through direct experience or through coaching or training) who knows firsthand how to get things done and can convey that knowledge to other people.
Spanish/English bilingual is a skill we value, but it is not a requirement.
Compensation and Benefits:
We provide high-quality, zero-deductible health insurance and a strong benefits package that includes a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with match, at least 28 days of paid time off & holidays as well as 6 sick days in your first year, and parental leave and a sabbatical program. The full-time salary range for this role is between $65,000-75,000 with exact salary depending on experience and, new staff rarely starting at the top of the range. This job offers an opportunity to engage people to find solutions to some of the most important environmental issues in Colorado and work with a great team that is committed to a better, more equitable future. It will be challenging, inspiring, and sometimes frustrating, but you’ll be making a big difference.
We are committed to building a more diverse and inclusive organization and conservation movement to fully represent and engage all Coloradans and to build as powerful a movement as we can. Recruiting staff that better reflects Colorado is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, race, ethnicity, geographies, political affiliation, and all other identities represented in Colorado or protected by law.
If this job speaks to you please visit our online portal here where you can upload your resume, cover letter, and 2-3 references (don’t worry; we will not contact your references without first discussing that with you).
Online Portal Link - https://airtable.com/shr8EtuoYwsWi7x49