Senior Director, Integrated Marketing
Washington DC (Hybrid)
Type of Job
The salary range for this position starts at $155,000.
Feb 16, 2022
About the job
National Geographic Society (NGS) is embarking on an exciting period of growth and innovation which includes expanding its in-house engagement and marketing team and building an advancement communications group to support the organization’s fundraising, programmatic and mission-oriented goals. With a focus on brand and digital engagement, NGS is building an entrepreneurial team of in-house expertise comprised of strategic communications, marketing, digital and multi-media professionals housed within the communications division of NGS.
The Communications Division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society and advance its position as one of the world's most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society's vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division's creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society's strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Engagement and Marketing Strategy department is an exciting new team within the Communications division at NGS. The department designs and implements a marketing strategy for the Society to deepen engagement with core audiences and plays a key role in supporting a culture of philanthropy at NGS. The team is driven by a deep understanding of audience behaviors and motivations — designing digital experiences, outreach campaigns and acquisition strategies to meet their needs.
The Senior Director, Integrated Marketing is an integral member and leader within the Engagement and Marketing Strategy team, responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive marketing strategy that will successfully meet and exceed fundraising goals, attract and retain donors, and drive visibility, growth, attendance, and engagement of our Explorer programs, events, museum exhibitions, experiences, and education offerings. The Senior Director works collaboratively with the broader Communications team to elevate our brand, amplify the National Geographic Society’s mission and values, and ensure campaigns are aligned and integrated into other content, and communications initiatives. The Senior Director, Integrated Marketing reports to the VP, Engagement and Marketing Strategy.
Strategy Development (30%)
- Work closely with the Vice President, Communications and Marketing and key business partners to develop an integrated marketing strategy that engages, grows, and retains our target and reach audiences and amplifies our Membership, Annual Giving, Science & Exploration, Education, Storytelling, and Basecamp programs, experiences, events, and initiatives.
- Identify and recommend innovative marketing tactics to acquire new audiences, particularly donors.
Strategy and Marketing Campaign Implementation (30%)
- Lead the implementation and launch of the overall marketing strategy, including working with NGS stakeholders, Disney and the National Geographic media and commercial lines of business, and external partners to create robust and mutually beneficial cross-promotional marketing opportunities around key initiatives.
- Oversee the development and execution of an annual marketing calendar and subsequent marketing campaign plans, with a keen eye toward ensuring measurement, cohesion, and maximal engagement and retention methods that successfully achieve goals for each campaign.
Team Development and Management (30%)
- Direct management, training, and development of Marketing team members, coordinate the teamwork across the Engagement & Marketing Strategy team, other teams within the Communications Division, Advancement, visitor services, creative staff, and more. Work closely with the marketing campaign leads to ensure clear communication and desired results.
- Manage the work of any/all outsourced agency support.
Budget Oversight (10%)
- Create and maintain budget for marketing efforts.
What You’ll Bring
Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred. Credentials in marketing, communications, or fundraising a plus.
- 12+ years of experience in communications, marketing, branding, public relations or a related field, including prior experience supporting fundraising and/or advancement
- 5+ years of management experience
Necessary Knowledge and Skills
- A keen understanding of how and when to prioritize different marketing tactics to yield successful audience engagement.
- Ability to work collaboratively and with executive level stakeholders to translate advancement and organizational needs and goals into marketing activities.
- Data-driven thinker with the ability to develop and utilize surveys, analytics, behavioral research and other tactics to gain deeper insights into audience preferences and motivations to optimize strategies.
- Strong project and budget management skills
- Deep understanding of digital tactics including direct mail and digital advertising.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
- Campaign development and management experience necessary
- Strong, results-driven, leader and communicator, who can work well in a matrix environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and campaigns at one time, effectively communicate across all levels of the organization, and encourage and develop a top performing team.
- Technical Skills: CRM, CMS, websites, email, advertising, grassroots outreach, direct mail, and social media.
- 3-4 Direct Reports, supervising a team of 5-7
- Hybrid - This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday). The salary range for this position starts at $155,000.
- As a science-based organization, National Geographic Society follows the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and public health officials. To promote the health, safety, and well-being of all staff, as of February 28, 2022, all NGS employees must be fully vaccinated, including booster, against COVID-19 or request an exception for a qualifying medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Amy Segelin, Partner at Chaloner is leading the search. Please apply at www.chaloner.com
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization