Senior Director, Digital Engagement
Type of Job
The salary range for this position begins at $155,000.
Nov 5, 2021
About the job
National Geographic Society (NGS) is embarking on an exciting period of growth and innovation which includes expanding its in-house engagement and marketing team and building an advancement communications group to support the organization’s fundraising, programmatic and mission-oriented goals. With a focus on brand and digital engagement, NGS is building an entrepreneurial team of in-house expertise comprised of strategic communications, marketing, digital and multi-media professionals housed within the communications division of NGS.
The Communications Division leads the development and execution of integrated communications and marketing strategies to further the mission of the National Geographic Society and advance its position as one of the world's most trusted non-profit organizations and global brands. Driven by the Society's vision to be more globally known for its impactful Explorer-led mission programs, the Division's creative and strategic minds develop strategic communications, marketing campaigns, creative, content, and media to promote the Society's strategic plan and key priorities. The Division comprises six departments: Engagement and Marketing Strategy, Brand, Creative, Strategic Communications, Executive Communications, and Content and Editorial.
The Engagement and Marketing Strategy department is an exciting new team within the Communications division at NGS. The department designs and implements a marketing strategy for the Society to deepen engagement with core audiences and plays a key role in supporting a culture of philanthropy at NGS. The team is driven by a deep understanding of audience behaviors and motivations — designing digital experiences, outreach campaigns and acquisition strategies to meet their needs.
The Senior Director, Digital Engagement will create a cohesive strategy for NGS to drive user acquisition, retention, and engagement and realize business objectives. This leader will rely on a deep understanding of digital trends and platforms and the role they play in an integrated communications strategy. This position is responsible for championing design thinking, experimentation, and co-creation methodologies to develop optimal digital experiences and engagement opportunities across the brand. The Senior Director will lead a three-person (and growing) team that leverages insights and data to inform communications strategies, designs and optimizes best-in-class digital experiences, and leverages technology to drive awareness, engagement, and affinity with our core audiences. The Senior Director will be joining an entirely new team at a time of growth within the Communications division. This position requires an entrepreneurial mindset, a curious mind, and a desire to be part of the build. This position reports to the Vice President of Engagement and Marketing Strategy.
Create and implement omni-channel digital communications and engagement strategy (50%)
- Ensure a world-class digital presence by aligning all marketing efforts, website experiences, transactions, and user experiences to drive awareness and engagement across audiences and lifecycles that is consistent with the brand.
- Create high-level, efficient, and effective cross-platform digital strategies to meet organizational objectives.
- Serve as the voice of our users and champion excellent user experience as part of all strategies.
- Stay abreast of changes and developments in the digital landscape.
- Lead and mentor a team of digital strategists and designers.
Strategize and collaborate across teams (25%)
- Partner with the other leaders within Communications and the Engagement and Marketing Strategy team.
- Collaborate with an internal client team to develop and execute cohesive and impactful digital marketing campaigns and experiences.
- Work with technology, product, and business owners to align digital experience roadmaps with larger communications, marketing, and advancement/fundraising efforts.
- Be an inspirational digital thought leader within the broader NGS community.
- Evangelize and democratize digital analytics data to promote data-driven decision-making with stakeholder teams.
Measure and align all platforms to drive successful fundraising efforts (25%)
- Apply strong analytical skills and experience to solve business problems.
- Develop forward-looking reporting, analyses, and insights, motivating stakeholder action.
- Collaborate with Strategic Insights & Initiatives team to define KPIs, benchmarks, and other metrics of success to monitor digital channel engagement and experiences.
- Ensure cohesive NGS brand is represented across several mediums and channels, driving toward donation.
- Utilize CRM and other platforms to create change.
Requirements and Experience:
- A minimum of ten years of progressive experience in digital strategy, marketing, customer experience, or a related field.
- At least five years of senior level experience in a non-profit or an agency with non-profit clients including staff management experience.
- Either past experience or a strong desire to work on conservation research and education
- Deep understanding of digital including user and donor journeys, audience insights, and omnichannel alignment.
- Successful track record of campaign cycles from concept to implementation to measurement.
- Proven experience deploying analytics and utilizing data to make decisions and inform future campaigns and initiatives.
- Knowledge and implementation of digital best practices.
- Experience supporting fundraising leaders in identifying, cultivating, and stewarding donor experience.
- Sophisticated understanding of how to toggle between audiences, points of entry to the brand’s digital landscape, and priorities.
- Passionate about digital in general and owned channel strategy in particular.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, and laser-focused.
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with members of the senior leadership team.
- Proven management and mentor abilities that encourage professional growth in direct reports and a collaborative team environment.
- Humility, creativity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to work cohesively and collaboratively across teams.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
- Hybrid - This position has been designated Hybrid, meaning your position will be performed from NGS Base Camp three fixed days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) and can be performed remotely for two fixed days a week (Monday and Friday). The salary range for this position begins at $155,000.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred. Credentials in digital marketing, direct marketing, or advancement/fundraising a plus.
Beth Kitzinger, Vice President at Chaloner is leading the search. Please apply at www.chaloner.com
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization.