Senior Director, Commuications
Type of Job
$110,000 - $128,000 annually
Jul 20, 2023
About the job
Climate Advisers–a respected research and public policy group dedicated to strengthening climate action in the United States and around the world–seeks a Senior Director, Communications.
We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about the opportunity to assume a leadership role in the development of Climate Advisers’ communications practice. Not only will this senior-level position be responsible for client management and leading large multi-year campaigns, they will also have a central role in fundraising efforts to attract new clients, as well as working directly with the Managing Director of Communications to help set the strategic direction of the rapidly growing practice. This is an ideal and unique opportunity for someone who is interested in helping build one of the industry’s most specialized communications firms, which joins traditional public relations offerings with deep subject matter expertise, strong research capacity, and diplomatic expertise.
The ideal candidate is a strategic and creative thinker, with experience managing teams, client relationships and a proven ability to use narrative storytelling to engage target audiences with nuanced messages. This candidate will have a track record of developing and executing communications strategies that influence decision-makers, motivate action, and produce results.
The Senior Director will also lead communications for Climate Advisers’ Orbitas initiative, a Center of Excellence for the Climate and Land Economy, that supports investors and producers quantify risks and opportunities from climate transitions for tropical agricultural commodities like beef, soy, palm oil, and more. The role will also require managing large budgets, as well as multiple team members and consultants. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position.
- Works with the Managing Director to lead fundraising efforts and set strategic direction for Climate Advisers’ communications practice.
- Manages communications for Climate Advisers’ Orbitas initiative, as well as manages other Climate Advisers’ communications projects.
- Advises clients and partners on the most effective global communications strategies, messages, and tactics – both in real-time and in long-range planning discussions – to ensure message coherence and discipline is maximized as an advocacy tool in achieving goals.
- Develops, implements, and oversees communications strategies and necessary tactics that advance program and clients’ goals through earned media outreach, social media, digital communications, paid media, collateral development, and stakeholder engagement.
- Oversees development, execution and coordination of communications strategies and campaigns across Climate Advisers’ broad portfolio of work to maximize impact.
- Provides expert analysis and is capable of bringing complex science stories to life for a variety of audiences across a range of geographies.
- Develops and manages relationships with external communications consultants and stakeholders.
- Uses research and analysis to tell easy to understand and visually impressive stories across a variety of media types.
- Thinks creatively about how to tailor messaging to multiple audience groups.
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with targeted journalists; drives positive media coverage of the initiative’s work in top-tier, regional and trade outlets.
- Works closely with Climate Advisers’ experts to stay abreast of changes in objectives, strategies, and communications needs; closely coordinates with other communications colleagues across Climate Advisers’ ecosystem to ensure alignment and cross-pollination of ideas, strategies and messaging.
- Plans and executes events such as press conferences, announcements, speeches and in-person meetings with media and other influential stakeholders; prepares program staff for media opportunities as needed.
- Ensures strong project management systems are in place and actively used by the communications teams to create efficiency and accountability.
- Tracks emerging opportunities and best practices in the communications field to increase engagement opportunities.
- Supports and leads fundraising efforts for the communications practice area, working closely with the Managing Director of Communications.
- Manages and mentors junior members of the Climate Advisers’ communications team.
- Minimum 10 years' marketing/communications experience, preferably in a political or isssue advocacy context, environmental media experience is strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in a related field preferred.
- Demonstrated strategic thinker with ability to leverage communications as a tool for driving greater impact.
- Experience managing projects both externally with clients and internally with team members.
- Experience with pitching and fundraising strongly preferred.
- Experience in the land use, food and/or natural climate solutions or carbon markets arena helpful.
- Track record of success leading and implementing communications for an advocacy campaign.
- Experience using social science research and message testing to inform communications and outreach strategies that can strengthen overall strategy and goals.
- Strong team management and mentoring skills.
- Superb marketing strategy, writing, editing, presentation, and communications skills.
- Experience pitching and developing strong relationships with top-tier media; familiarity with environmental media strongly preferred.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated success executing strategic communications campaigns that have influenced policymakers and the private sector.
- Experience managing a budget and participating/leading strategic planning processes.
- Experience cultivating and managing client relationships.
- Preference for fluency in at least one additional language of strategic priority for Climate Advisers’ program, with preference for Portuguese or Spanish.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range for this position is $110,000 - $128,000 annually, depending on skills and experience. Climate Advisers offers an excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; employer-paid life, long-term and short-term disability insurance; generous paid time off; and 401(k) plan.
Location: Climate Advisers is a fully remote work environment with the majority of staff concentrated in the Washington, DC area. This role may be performed remotely anywhere in the United States. You must be authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer; we are not able to sponsor visas.
To Apply: Submit your resume, cover letter and one writing sample via our careers portal at https://climateadviserstrust.bamboohr.com/jobs
About Climate Advisers
Climate Advisers is a policy, research and advocacy organization working to deliver the post-carbon economy. In the United States and around the world, Climate Advisers creates and implements large-scale, cost-effective strategies to strengthen climate action and improve lives. The organization conducts this work in partnership with leading philanthropies, think tanks, advocacy groups, international institutions, companies, and governments. Climate Advisers offers an award-winning culture that emphasizes transparency, risk taking and collaboration. The organization’s work to reduce emissions from deforestation is its largest practice area. Communicating to investors, financial analysts, and asset managers the material risks associated with climate change is the organization’s fastest growing area of work. Climate Advisers’ traditional core competency and international reputation stems from expertise in climate diplomacy. The organization works in many other areas as well, including aviation, renewable energy, energy efficiency, carbon pricing, supply chains, advocacy campaigns and more.
B Corporation Status
Climate Advisers is proud to be a Certified B Corporation, a new kind of company that meets higher standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. Learn more about B Corporations at www.bcorporation.net
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy
Climate Advisers is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and strives to select the best-qualified person for each position in the organization. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. The organization is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment advertising, pay and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.